PDA

View Full Version : info movies about reefs

hockey nut
01-23-2005, 08:24 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent info movies/videos or documentories about reefs and its surroundings ?

I have already seen Finding Nemo.................. :mrgreen:

thank you :0)

Delphinus
01-23-2005, 05:03 PM
The Blue Planet series .. have them on DVD, fabulous.

Another good documentary is the "Mudfish and the Hyaena" that sometimes Discovery will play, about intertidal zone along the east African coast.

monza
01-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Where did you get the DVD's Tony?
Dave

Delphinus
01-23-2005, 06:35 PM
Umm ..... I think I might have ordered them from amazon.ca, or maybe chapters/indigo. I ordered them pretty much right when they came out so it's been a couple of years, sorry..

Dabbler
01-23-2005, 07:28 PM
How about Shark Tail :mrgreen:

hockey nut
01-24-2005, 07:38 AM
he he. Yes I've seen Shark Tails.

How much $$$ did you pay for the Blue Planet DVDs ?

Thanks for your help.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Nuts,

I think I have that series of DVDs. If I can find them, I'll bring them to OA if you want to borrow them or you can come over to my place to pick 'em up.

Anthony

Tarolisol
01-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Future shop has the blue planet series. Its 77dollers for all 4 DVDs oh like 16 dollers per movie. and they also have two packs.

Van down by the river
01-24-2005, 10:25 PM
It's worth it to get all the Blue planet series(the Box set). It is one of the best documentaries I think I've ever seen. I think it is also due to the fact they had the largest budget for a documentary. It won't make you a better reefer but the quality of the entire series is unmatched. They also did a re edit that they were going to release as a movie type feature but I have yet to see it.

There is no narrative, but CORAL SEA DREAMING is quite good for visuals only. It's close up sequences on coral spawns are fantastic.

I haven't ordered it yet, but Aliens of the sea might be worth a try.
http://www.aliensofthesea.com/

I will give you some warning, anything produced by MADACY Entertainment tends to be of poor quality. Usually no narratives and when they do have them they are poorly done. They did the sport diver series. Many of the DVD's play like a low quality training video. Save your money.

I'd say a trip to the library and browse through the national geographic documentaries would be a great and inexpensive way to see some good movies.

Delphinus
01-24-2005, 10:33 PM
You know which DVD I'd like ... everything I go into a place like A&B Sound, or Futureshop, or whatever ... all the big screen TV's almost always have some "reefy scenes" demo video in high-definition or something.

Actually I'm sure there are dozens of these ....

But yeah, you want to see some neat reef footage, go pretend you're buying a TV. Dollars to donuts you'll see reef! :lol:

hockey nut
01-25-2005, 04:04 AM
Thanks for all your info folks. :biggrin:

Anthony, that would be awsome. Let me know when you have them at OA and I'll swing by and pick them up. Thanks

P.S. you have nice CLAMS............. :mrgreen:

Bryan
01-25-2005, 05:19 AM
Blue Planet series is also available from the Vancouver Public Library. Not not much help if you aren't a resident.