PDA

View Full Version : Metal Halide bulbs

Richard_Dicosimo
01-23-2005, 12:46 AM
i ordered a 10,000k 400w coralife bulb from hellolights.com it was taking a long time to get here(over a month) so i figured it got detained at the border and i was never going to see it. so i ordered another bulb from mops.ca a xml 400w 10,000k so now i have 2 10,000k bulbs and im not sure which is better i have compared what the manufacturers sites say and im still confused. the coralife is far bluer and is sorta football shaped and the xml is cucumer shaped and i think more intense but im not sure.

if anyone has a recomendation or a preference of thier own i would be glad to hear from you

Bob I
01-23-2005, 01:21 AM
How do you get a bulb from Hellolights :question: . As far as I know they don't ship to Canada.

Richard_Dicosimo
01-23-2005, 07:07 AM
i have a friend in the states and she redirected it for me

Delphinus
01-23-2005, 05:12 PM
I think you might get more hits if this were in the main reef forum, so I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to move it over there.

As far as your question goes .. I thought, generally, XM bulbs had a more favorable following than Coralife, but, things may have changed since the last time I looked into it. I have a XM bulb but not 400W (so not an apples to apples comparison for you, sorry), I use it on my 20g. I would rate it "Ok." Basically not bad for what I paid for it. Never used a Coralife lamp, so can't help you there.

vanreefer
01-26-2005, 09:27 PM
I don't know about output but the coralife are far bluer almost look like a 14K bulb
Just my 2
Dano

Richard_Dicosimo
01-29-2005, 02:45 AM
Just an update.

The Coralife bulb is way to blue. I tryed taking a picture of the tank yesterday, and it was like i only had the actintcs on.