PDA

View Full Version : union quesion

Willow
01-22-2005, 05:33 PM
does it matter what way a union goes? is there an unside down and a right side up?

also do you think its ok to glue pvc with silcone glue?

Dale D
01-22-2005, 05:46 PM
I don't think it makes a difference. Personally, I wouldn't trust silicone, especially if the pipe is under pressure. If the water is moving throught the pipe by gravity you maybe OK.

Whenever you buy unions make sure you take them apart in the store and check that the o ring is still there before you buy it. Some of them seem to go missing in the store. :evil:

Willow
01-22-2005, 06:07 PM
thanks dale.. yeah i did check the unions at the store and some were missing the o-ring!

i have a bunch of pipes glued using silicone but the are just stuff under the waterline. this time i decided that i wanted a ball valve under the bulkhead dropping the water to the sump. im wondering if i need something more robust than the silicone. from the bulkhead its 1" threaded -> slip then some schd 40 to slip ball valve -> to more schd 40 with flexhose to sump. im not sure how much pressure that would be under as it's basically gravity fed.. but then when i close the ball valve that would add some pressure i guess.

Quinster
01-22-2005, 06:15 PM
if you go to a pool spa place there are ball valves with a union on each end....and they cost about the same as what you have but take up much less space, if that is an issue. While there you may want to look into getting Spa Flex which you glue just like PVC, the difference is (in my experiance....don't ask) if you make a mistake, or need to get it apart, a pipe wrench on the union side and vice grips on the Spa Flex side and a little brute force, it will come apart....a little clean up and you can re use the valve\union.

FYI

Quinn

Willow
01-22-2005, 06:20 PM
dang! thats exactly what i was going to do, stick a union on before the ball valve but i ran outa room. thanks great tip.

Quinster
01-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Here is what they look like
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1236valves-med.jpg