PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp-Blood Red and Cleaner

clownchick22
01-22-2005, 12:17 AM
Do these Shrimp actually set up a "cleaning-station" per say in regards to cleaning ick and other parasites off of your fish?

I can't imagine a fish actually just standing, or "floating" there while this shrimp eats stuff off of him :confused:

Has anyone actually seen this in action? :neutral:

Willow
01-22-2005, 12:54 AM
yep they sure do. i had a huge one that sat on her rock all day waiting for customers. the tangs used to pull up and would either hang around and get a few spots picked off or the shrimp would jump on the fish and get a ride around the tank while cleaning. one of the cooler things to see in a reef imo.

Ryan
01-22-2005, 01:15 AM
I seen an awsome cleaning station once when i was in BC. THey had blood and skunk cleaners blue neon and sharknose gobies then to add to it a cleaner wrasse all at one station it was a sight to see. The tangs and angels used to do a quggle and the fish would go right to work.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-22-2005, 02:05 AM
It's not that common in our tanks, but I had one that set up a cleaning station right at the front corner of my 100g where I could see it best. Angels, tangs & all the fish would slowly come in and wait their turn to get cleaned. It would literally climb all over the fish & the fish would open mouths & gill covers for a thorough cleaning. Any parasites or dead skin was picked off & :eating:

It's an awesome sight & a chance to see such symbiotic relationships are one of the main attractions and reasons why a lot of people get into sw (re: clownfish-anemone)

Unfortunately, something killed it a couple of months ago :evil:

Hope to have that again in one of my tanks in the future (ps. stay away from hawkfish, some crabs, and bird wrasse who are too stupid to know leave their "doctor" alone.)

Anthony

BCWolfen
01-22-2005, 04:47 AM
Anthony,

I've been looking at Hawkfish as a perspective tenant for my tank once its up. when you say ps. stay away from hawkfish, some crabs, and bird wrasse who are too stupid to know leave their "doctor" alone. What do you mean by this. The Hawk fish I've seen look cool, but if they're not a happy community fish and don't get along well with others......well then they can't be part of the club :lol:

G1GY
01-22-2005, 05:09 AM
Most of my fish get cleaned by the cleaner shrimp often. :biggrin:

Snappy
01-22-2005, 06:21 AM
I have 3 cleaner shrimp as well as a cleaner wrasse as some fish seem to prefer being cleaned by one or the other but it is true that the shrimp set a spot in the tank for the fish to come and get cleaned. Very cool and entertaining.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-22-2005, 06:31 AM
Wolfen,

Hawkfish snack on shrimp. :evil: Mine grew up with cleaners & peppermints in the 33g, but I suspect it ate the "doctor" in the 100g. :evil: :mad:

My fault, should have not risked it.

Anthony

clownchick22
01-24-2005, 02:27 AM
Yeah, I actually got the chance to see it in action today at a friend's house... very cool :) Can't wait to get a few of my own.
It is a very amazing hobbie!