PDA

View Full Version : switching of Salt

Skimmerking
01-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Well I have been using Tropic M for the tank and curing the rock in the tank. along for the past In the tank i have a Coral beauty 4 yrs old fat too. THanks Doug :mrgreen:
And a few frags from Doug SPS provona and some digita brown.
I recently got a excellant deal on salt IO for 60 straight up its the older pail with the white lid from a guy who had this pail for like 3 -4 yrs ago. I dont think its a bad pail like before that everyone had the problems with in the past. I HOPE NOT.

The question is when i run out of TRopic M and i switch to IO wil there be a big problem with that. Or should i like always when changing salt over start with a few gallon at a time "say" 2-5 gallons every other week.

mike

Beverly
01-21-2005, 01:46 PM
IMO, there should be no problem switching from one salt to another, especially if you are doing 10-15% water changes weekly.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Some LFSs switch salt brands all the time (although one does not recommend the Red Sea brand) Some seem to stick mainly with IO or Kent (which are supposed to be pretty much the same). [I asked 'em]

Of course, this isn't quite as useful to the average reefer because we don't have 1000s of gallons of water to dilute the new salt mix :rolleyes:

Just thought I'd throw this little factoid out there.

Anthony

Old Guy
01-21-2005, 10:44 PM
When I switched salts i mixed the two brands together 70/30 old/new first change, 50/50 second change, 70/30 new old and finally 100% new.

I've tried a few brands over the years and found this to be the best method. I tried a complete change once and found my corals showing their displeasure.

Jeff

StirCrazy
01-21-2005, 11:02 PM
just carry on with smaller waterchanges as per normal. Its not going to cause a problem unless there is something wrong with the salt

Steve

Skimmerking
01-21-2005, 11:07 PM
ok that is what i will do.

thanks for everyone's reply's

mike