PDA

View Full Version : nudibranchs

tomini
01-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Hi does anyone have any experience keeping lettuce nudibranch?
and know of any lfs that carry them from time to time?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Locally?

Where are you located? Add that info to your profile.

Delphinus
01-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Technically they are a "sea slug" not a "nudibranch" but don't ask me what the details are that separate the two groups.

Supposedly they will adopt some photosynthetic abilities from the chlorophyll in the algae they ingest.

A few years back I tried some on two separate occasions. Unfortunately, in both cases, they withered away over a few months and eventually disappeared. I don't know how typical of a story this is, but I haven't tried any more since then.

They're really quite pretty, ornate, creatures. I might try again some day if I can learn some more about them beforehand. I guess they have a relatively short lifespan but it's possible to breed them (if I understand correctly what I'm reading about them).

Sorry I can't be a better help..

PS. There is a seaslug forum which may have more information, specific to nudibranchs and seaslugs: www.seaslugforum.net .. Also Calfo's "Reef Invertebrates" has a chapter on them. The book looks great, although I only received my copy a couple days ago and I haven't actually read that specific chapter yet.

PPS. Here's a starting point for further reading: http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=elyscris

Ryan
01-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Tony them guys dont live very long. Maybe thats why they had such a short life span.

Tomini I would look at J&L and Live Aquaria for information. Apparently they are easy to keep. One nice thing aobut them is they dont nuke ur tank. If one gets sgreded by and intake it wont kill anything. They do have a short lifespan though but there has been reports of people being able to breed them.

AJ_77
01-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Tony them guys dont live very long. Maybe thats why they had such a short life span.

I thought Bob said that Tim had a gift for stating the obvious... :biggrin: Is this something like the warning, "a shortened lifespan may be hazardous to your health?"

Sorry Ryan - but it's Friday, and you just cheered me up. :mrgreen:

Richard_Dicosimo
01-21-2005, 11:51 PM
I picked up a letuce slug about a month and a half ago from Golds

tomini
01-22-2005, 06:57 AM
hmm how much did you pay?and how is he doing now?? :biggrin: