PDA

View Full Version : Questions about dwarf angelfish

knghtryder
01-21-2005, 03:05 AM
Are they reef safe?

Are they aggressive towards other fish?

Anyone have any that seem to be doing well with other fish?

Lemme know, thanks.

Bob I
01-21-2005, 03:09 AM
As a group Dwarf Angels are not considered reef safe. However, some are better than others. Some may develop bad character as they get older. Many people keep them in reefs, and report they are fine. :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-21-2005, 06:28 AM
Real dwarfs, like Cherubs, are usually (emphasis on USUALLY) reef-safe. Mine was fine with softies, anemones & LPS. They're small, brilliantly coloured & with lively personalities. Cherubs are my fav. dwarf angel (as if you couldn't tell by all this gushing :lol: )

Slightly larger ones like Coral Beauties and Bi-colours are more of a risk. If you want to take a chance, go small & maybe try it with some xenia or other tempting tidbit before releasing it into a reef tank where it will be near impossible to catch again if it doesn't work out. Maybe in a QT or sump/refugium?

As with all spp., it will mostly depend on the temperament of that particular fish. I was told that no fish eat Prolifera macroalgae, but one of mine did & he/she taught the others to do it as well, so now I have no Prolifera left in my main tank :mad:

JMO

Anthony

smokinreefer
01-21-2005, 08:00 AM
<------------------ looky at my avatar.

thats a pic of a multibar angel that i had in my old reef.

i currently have one in my 180. excellent fish. *knock on wood*

but i must say, from all of the research/reading i have done over the years, dwarf angels are hit or miss. you take your chances if you put one in a reef.

good luck.

danny zubot
01-21-2005, 02:52 PM
I have had a flame angel with no problems, but I think they are hit and miss too.

Van down by the river
01-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Hello Knightryder,

First off I would like to ask you to add your location to your profile.
It's nice to know were people are from, plus if we know the area we can direct you to good local stores.

Anyways, this answer has been voted on and answered before. I think you will get your answers from this thread as well as some suggestions for alternate and safer choices.
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3754&highlight=angel

Unfortunately, there is not a definite yes or no answer. That is why you see so many "hit or miss comments".

I'm glad to see you got another Multibar Angel Shao. Great fish.

Willow
01-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Hello Knightryder,

First off I would like to ask you to add your location to your profile.
It's nice to know were people are from, plus if we know the area we can direct you to good local stores.

as i look at van's location :rolleyes: hehe

Van down by the river
01-21-2005, 06:03 PM
okay you got me, most of the long term posters know who and where I am.
Plus I move around occasionally. It's updated now

AJ_77
01-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Hi KR - have you read this article? I found it helpful.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-02/hcs3/index.htm