PDA

View Full Version : Purple and yellow tang?

Tarolisol
01-21-2005, 02:14 AM
Just a question a purple tang and a yellow tang in a tank around 200 gallons, bad idea good idea. Just thinking for the future.

Aquattro
01-21-2005, 02:41 AM
depends on the fish.

motox
01-21-2005, 02:52 AM
I HAVE A SCOPAS AND PURPLE TANG IN A 90 GALLON. THEY BEEN TOGETHER ABOUT 6 MONTHS. THEY MAY CHASE EACH OTHER ONCE IN AWHILE BUT NO MARKS LEFT ON EACH OTHER. JUST TELLING THE OTHER ONE GET OUT OF MY SPACE. OTHERWISE THEY SEEM TO PLAY TOGETHER.

trilinearmipmap
01-21-2005, 03:28 AM
I have a yellow tang and I would love a purple tang so I asked this same question and researched it on RC.

There were people who had YT"s and PT's that got along fine and there were people who had YT's and PT's in a state of open warfare.

My conclusion was that I would only add a PT if I could rely on someone to take it off my hands in case it didn't work out.

My own theory is there may be a gender difference, perhaps some people are seeing male to male aggession, just a theory but there is no other reason I could figure for the difference in people's experiences.

smokinreefer
01-21-2005, 04:18 AM
what are the dimensions of your tank? what is your rock work like? the more open space and different territories you can provide, the better.

do you have any of the tangs already? or will you be adding them both at the same time? adding them at the same time would be the best. and of similar size. when the tank lights are out.

i can let you know from my experience... i had a 135, 6' long by 2' wide and 18" tall...

i had a yellow tang in there first, and added a purple tang later. the yellow would always dominate the purple. the purple remained healthy, as in it was still fat and was never beat up/damaged, but was pretty much always in hiding.

i currently have the purple with a powder blue in a 180 with no problems whats so ever.

ultimately it will come down to the temperment of the individual specimens that you have.

i would say that with caution and careful selection, you should be fine in a 200. i gotta say, as cheap as yellow tangs are, they sure are purdy.

HTH

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-21-2005, 06:19 AM
Many local reefers I know have both PT & YT together in the same tank (100g & up). I have 3 YTs together & they get along 95% of the time & spar occasionally without actually doing any damage whatsoever. Maybe suggest getting the 2nd fish a little bigger since the 1st would have the home field advantage. To get my YTs together, I placed later fish into my eggcrate isolation chamber & sunk it in my display tank. That way the fishes get to see & smell each other for 5-7 days before release, by which time the aggression levels are way down. Still, it will depend on the individual fish's temperament. Some fish will just never get along so have another tank ready or someone willing to adopt. (I do :biggrin: )

JME

Anthony

Chin_Lee
01-21-2005, 07:46 AM
Some fish will just never get along so have another tank ready or someone willing to adopt. (I do :biggrin: )
Anthony

So whatcha waiting for Anthony? Bring it over :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

danny zubot
01-21-2005, 02:57 PM
If you do try, add them at the same time to even the score. Maybe try adding them after some other fish to keep them occupied.

Doug
01-21-2005, 03:09 PM
The purple and yellow tangs are to of the most ignorant & pig headed fish that exist. :lol:

They are also the same shape, size and family.

All this added together make them bad tankmates in most situations.