PDA

View Full Version : brown rust like powder

digitalsteve
01-18-2005, 11:38 PM
hey huys , its been about 4days since my crash and i have noticed a brown almost rust like layer appearing on my sand bed and live rock , is this cyano again? or am i lucky and this is some new form of demon?

Willow
01-18-2005, 11:45 PM
maybe diatoms?

digitalsteve
01-19-2005, 01:10 AM
if they are diatoms, do i get rid of them and if so , how?

Murminator
01-19-2005, 01:10 AM
What exactly is cyano???
Can you see it?
What does it look like?

Willow
01-19-2005, 01:15 AM
cyano is a bacteria that looks like a red slime. sometimes incorrectly called red slime algae. diatoms are an algae that your tank goes thru when it first cycles. it should pass in awhile, you must be sparking some phosphates or high nitrates? do you have a proper sized cleanup crew?

Murminator
01-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Sorry to highjack this...
Cyano is that the purpley stuff on my glass below the sandbed? or this that something different?

Willow
01-19-2005, 01:30 AM
cyano will stick to everything.

Bob I
01-19-2005, 02:23 AM
What exactly is cyano???
Can you see it?
What does it look like?

There have been thousands of posts about Cyano. It is probably the favorite subject. Everybody claims to know something about it. Do a search in this , or any forum on Cyano, or Cyanobacter, or slime algae, and you will get lots of info. :rolleyes:

digitalsteve
01-19-2005, 03:51 AM
so the brown stuff could be a cycle hey.... hmm i will up my cleaning crew and toss in some macro and see f i can get those extra nutrients out of the water

Rikko
01-19-2005, 06:23 AM
Cyano and diatoms can be pretty persistent, too. Some folks with established tanks go absolutely insane scourging the surrounding area if a little bit starts to appear on their sand bed. You can usually discourage it with water movement (in addition to good water quality, of course). I tend to feed more than I should and am running skimmerless and rarely have more than a tiny spot of cyano at a given time. I attribute the control solely to my surge and the good current that the entire tank gets once a minute.

digitalsteve
01-20-2005, 03:19 AM
grrr.... this stuff is growing like mad! i really wish i could catch a break here!@... should i do a water change already , the water ihasnt been in there for more then a week, perhaps a few more cleaners might be in order

Willow
01-20-2005, 05:20 AM
skimmerless... nice job sir! we need to start a skimmer free group!

Snappy
01-20-2005, 05:36 AM
When I had the rusty brown algae problem I found that adding a PH buffer to the tank helped a lot. I also poured the buffer I mixed directly into the tank and over the rocks which were the worst and it seemed to kill it. I don't know if this was the biggest factor or not. I looked at it like chicken soup for a cold--may not help but it won't hurt either. I may have just gotten lucky and I am sure that someone out there will correct me. However, right or wrong it helped in my tank. :neutral:
Greg

Willow
01-20-2005, 06:11 AM
When I had the rusty brown algae problem I found that adding a PH buffer to the tank helped a lot. I also poured the buffer I mixed directly into the tank and over the rocks which were the worst and it seemed to kill it. I don't know if this was the biggest factor or not. I looked at it like chicken soup for a cold--may not help but it won't hurt either. I may have just gotten lucky and I am sure that someone out there will correct me. However, right or wrong it helped in my tank. :neutral:
Greg

ok that just sounds dangerous.