PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Sponge Growth?

Scales
01-18-2005, 05:35 PM
I am becoming plagued with what I believe is chicken liver sponge. It is just plain ugly IMO and has started covering too many rocks, pressing in on other more desirable inhabitants. I try to "toothbrush" it off during water changes, but am losing the battle, particularly in hard to get areas (where I have unintentionally fragged a few SPS corals trying to "solve" this problem).

Anyone have some advice? Is there a natural solution, something that eats this stuff?

G1GY
01-18-2005, 05:38 PM
If it's a sponge maybe try some kind of angel.

andestang
01-18-2005, 06:35 PM
My Blue Face would love to come visit :mrgreen: Good luck though :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-18-2005, 07:20 PM
If you know any locals whose tank systems you trust, maybe "loan" your LR (a piece at a time) to someone local with large angels. Then after they're "cleaned" trade back for another sponge rock. This could turn into a symbiotic relationship :lol:

I've done this with grape caulerpa cover LR when someone's tang wasn't eating & it was no problem (since his tank system is way nicer than mine anyways :razz: ) His tang ate the macro & my LR got a good cleaning.

You'll have to weigh the risk vs benefit of this suggestion for yourself to see if the sponge really bothers you that much.

Just a thought.

Anthony