PDA

View Full Version : PVC/CPVC

Corey
01-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Whats the difference, Im building a Beckett, and when building it they say to use CPVC for the clover.

muck
01-18-2005, 05:15 PM
This is from a thread awhile back on piping for your aquarium.

another PVC to watch out for is CPVC, I wouldent use this if you pay me.. it is chloranated to prevent "bio film" build up.. this is the major down fall with normal PVC when comparing against copper lines.. copper lines after 20 years are still clean inside... PVC after a couple months starts to develop a film, which left unchecked coule restrict flow.. the answer to this problem... CPVC.. now do you realy want something that kills bio life in your tank?

Steve

Corey
01-18-2005, 05:18 PM
tanks for the reply, but it is only a 3.5" piece that I need to use, but it sounds like they are the same size and shape, only have a different makeup.

JimE
01-19-2005, 07:26 PM

another PVC to watch out for is CPVC, I wouldent use this if you pay me.. it is chloranated to prevent "bio film" build up.. this is the major down fall with normal PVC when comparing against copper lines.. copper lines after 20 years are still clean inside... PVC after a couple months starts to develop a film, which left unchecked coule restrict flow.. the answer to this problem... CPVC.. now do you realy want something that kills bio life in your tank?

Steve

Just because somebody on a board said something, doesn't mean its true. Do your own research on non hobby related websites for real info. Search manufacturers website, NSF testing websites, industry websites, etc. I don't think you will find one that says CPVC is chlorinated to prevent biofilm - this is just somebody's conjecture, and a source of bad information that keeps coming up and gets regurgitated as gospel. The "chlorine" is added to create a plastic with dramatically different properties than PVC. BTW, the biggest source of leaching in PVC/CPVC systems is from the glue....

Jim

StirCrazy
01-20-2005, 02:55 AM

Steve

Just because somebody on a board said something, doesn't mean its true. Do your own research on non hobby related websites for real info. Search manufacturers website, NSF testing websites, industry websites, etc. I don't think you will find one that says CPVC is chlorinated to prevent biofilm - this is just somebody's conjecture, and a source of bad information that keeps coming up and gets regurgitated as gospel. The "chlorine" is added to create a plastic with dramatically different properties than PVC. BTW, the biggest source of leaching in PVC/CPVC systems is from the glue....

Jim

funny that came off the industry website of the maker of CPVC, i'll see if I can still find it and check it out though. this has also been told to me by several water places where I buy equipment.
Steve