PDA

View Full Version : sumps

motox
01-18-2005, 01:38 AM
what are your opinions on putting foam, bio balls or goss in your sumps.
I get mixed opinions about many say not to because it will cause nitrates to rise. unless you are cleaning them weekly. right now I have no filter media and not had a problem.

G1GY
01-18-2005, 01:42 AM
I would only use live rock or macro algae in the sump.

Just my opinion though. :smile:

Rikko
01-18-2005, 03:25 AM
Personally I like the mechanical filtration effects of having some kind of foam or floss somewhere in the system. The nitrate factory school of thought is rather knee jerk, as it takes some time for mechanical media to really begin to colonize. And, really, if you wait so long to do something as simple as clean a filter pad, the chances are good that your lack of enthusiasm will result in many other problems.

If your tank isn't cloudy and you rarely see any debris, don't bother. Sumps are great for settling out debris on their own without any media. However, if you end up with a lot of crap in the water, it's invaluable to be able to remove it from circulation (pun intended).

And if you don't want any media that is a pain to clean (like big sheets of foam), consider the Quick Filters that Hagen makes. They snap directly onto the Aquaclear powerheads (and can adapt to other brand with ease, I'm sure) and are a fine poly filter pad that pulls almost everything out. I have one that I move around for when my planted tank has a little crap floating around or if my reef starts to get a little debris kicked up from a moved powerhead.

sumpfinfishe
01-18-2005, 04:15 AM
I use floss in the overflow, I do change it every week!
It's easier to change in my overflow, and prevents anything from getting caught up or through the return pump.

StirCrazy
01-18-2005, 04:34 AM
don't bother using it, the small suspended particles that you will get hardly cause an eye sore and it is mad available to the coral for food.

Steve

sumpfinfishe
01-18-2005, 02:36 PM
whatever Steve :razz:

danny zubot
01-18-2005, 02:57 PM
I use a course sponge in the baffles of my sump. They prevent cloggage of my return pump as stated above, and they also cut down on micro- bubbles. Its very course so I only clean it once or twice a month.