PDA

View Full Version : Chiller and Fan

Jaws
01-16-2005, 08:15 AM
When using a chiller, do you still need to supply a fan to cool off the MH's or is it no longer required?

Willow
01-16-2005, 03:20 PM
i think you still need the fan the help disapate the heat. it's not nessassary but it will help the chiller not work so hard. also it will help with evaporation.

IslandReefer
01-16-2005, 05:16 PM
I also think fans are still needed. Especially if you have a combo MH and Flor....MH light to run hot and the flor tubes like to be cooler. The fan will aid in evaporation for kalk top-up and , as said before disapaites the heat to prevent hot spots, in your hood.
my 2 cents
Cheers

Aquattro
01-16-2005, 05:19 PM
nope, no use for a fan at all. There are no hot spots from lights on the water, since it's moving. The fans were never intended to cool the bulbs, so stop thinking that.
I still get plenty of evaporation for kalk top off, and I don't have the noise of a fan.
For me, one of the biggest benefits of adding the chiller was getting rid of the fan.

Jaws
01-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys. Other than the two totally opposite answers, I appreciate your input. I have the same chiller as Brad so if anyone else is using a chiller with or without fans, I would love to hear their opinion.

StirCrazy
01-16-2005, 10:46 PM
I have one fan going but it doesn't blow on my lights, just circulates air through the stand to keep the internal temp down as my stand is enclosed.
no need to worry about keeping bulbs cool or such. and if you have a chiller you don't need fans for evaporation. Oh and as a side note if you are using a Ca reactor you don't need evaporation.

Steve

Willow
01-16-2005, 10:57 PM
i dont know about your guys tanks but mine evaporates less with a chiller than without. i need the fan to up my kalk dosages.

StirCrazy
01-16-2005, 11:06 PM
i dont know about your guys tanks but mine evaporates less with a chiller than without. i need the fan to up my kalk dosages.

upgrade to a Ca reactor.

Steve

Willow
01-16-2005, 11:07 PM

upgrade to a Ca reactor.

Steve

sure.. send me a check :mrgreen:

Tarolisol
01-16-2005, 11:22 PM
If you have fans make sure you dont aim them right at the bulb as ive heard it will shorten the life oh the bulb. MH that is.

muck
01-16-2005, 11:40 PM
If you have fans make sure you dont aim them right at the bulb as ive heard it will shorten the life oh the bulb. MH that is.
Why would that have an affect on the life span of the bulb? :confused:

Aquattro
01-17-2005, 12:11 AM
Bulbs need to run at certain temps to put out the correct spectrum. Not sure about affecting life span, but if you've ever touched a MH bulb, you'll be with me in thinking some puny little fan isn't going to do squat for cooling it!! These bulbs run somewhere around 700 degrees, a fan isn't going to cool it off any appreciable amount.

Willow
01-17-2005, 01:14 AM
your actually better off turning the fan around so you can pull the hot air out instead blowing it into the the hood.

Aquattro
01-17-2005, 01:19 AM
your actually better off turning the fan around so you can pull the hot air out instead blowing it into the the hood.

Depends on your purpose for fans. Mine was to encourage evaporative cooling, and the greater the velocity of air across the surface of the water, the more water evaporates.
I also think that removing air hot air from the canopy is pointless, as soon as the new cooler air enters, the bulbs heat it instantly.
Overall though, as with the rest of the hobby, whatever works for the individual is the right way. :razz:

StirCrazy
01-17-2005, 02:42 AM
I also think that removing air hot air from the canopy is pointless, as soon as the new cooler air enters, the bulbs heat it instantly.
Overall though, as with the rest of the hobby, whatever works for the individual is the right way. :razz:

I do it because it drops the temp of the inside of my stand by 15 degrees, some of us have doors on ours :mrgreen:

Steve

Aquattro
01-17-2005, 02:47 AM
Doors? I don't need no stinkin' doors!! Quality cardboard flap that's lasted 2 years now.

StirCrazy
01-17-2005, 02:49 AM
Doors? I don't need no stinkin' doors!! Quality cardboard flap that's lasted 2 years now.

Hey the new tank has doors right? :wink:

Steve

Aquattro
01-17-2005, 02:50 AM
Ya, but I'm gonna take them off and build new cardboard flaps. Just for you!!

StirCrazy
01-17-2005, 02:52 AM
Ya, but I'm gonna take them off and build new cardboard flaps. Just for you!!

LOL, are you sure you arn't doing that just to have more light to read by?

Steve