PDA

View Full Version : JL Custodian Packages

Jaws
01-16-2005, 08:03 AM
Would you say that the number of critters found in the custodian packages JL offers are pretty close to what you need based on your tank size?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/static/livestock/janitors.htm

Invigor
01-16-2005, 02:37 PM
I got this one:

30 - Blue Legged Hermits
5 - Red Scarlet Hermit
10 - Astrea Snails
10 - Margarita Snails
10 - Cerith Snails

and all the crabs ate my snails... :rolleyes:

Gools
01-16-2005, 03:56 PM
LOL :lol:
I'm sorry to here, but that's to funny

Nemo
01-16-2005, 04:04 PM
the advice I was given was to buy snails or buy crabs not both

Robert

Gools
01-16-2005, 04:14 PM
That's what I do. I only have snails, Hermits eat snails, and then can turn on each other. So That's why I went with snails

Murminator
01-16-2005, 04:22 PM
We must be talking pretty big hermits then, I have never seen a hermit eat 1 of my snails and I have a couple of big hermits and a few small ones. I just made sure there is a good supply of empty shells of various sizes for them to move into, and they do seem to trade shells alot.

kuatto
01-16-2005, 04:32 PM
I think you can never have enough "janitors" to keep the reef clean.Hermits will kill the snails if they want their shell(even when you have lots of empties)but most times don't bother them.Just make sure you don't have a large green brittle star or you'll lose ALL your snails and crabs(costly mistake :redface: )

Skimmerking
01-16-2005, 04:32 PM
I have always had snails after staring out with the 120, i had both and all my snails are gone.

now i have all snails for this setup well gettting there .

mike

G1GY
01-16-2005, 04:37 PM
All snails here also! :biggrin: Had some hermits, but got rid of all of them after I found one wearing a newer snails shell.

Jaws
01-16-2005, 06:05 PM
How many snails and of what species would you reccommend for a 180G tank then?

trilinearmipmap
01-16-2005, 06:22 PM
I have a 120 with 3 Turbo snails, 6 or 8 Astrea snails, 2 Ceriths and 2 Nassarius. Also a bunch of the Stomatella type snails that came in on the live rock.

This is a lot less than I have normally seen recommended for a clean up crew, the normal recommendations seem excessive to me.

On a related not does anyone know if the "Red Banded Turbo Snails" sold at Ocean Aquatics are the same as the "Trochus Snails" which come highly recommended?

Zerandise
01-16-2005, 06:22 PM
wow i have about 35 hermits in my 55 with a wack of snails AND a large green star. All live like a happy little family :)

No real amout of loss from any of them.

There is always the rule breaker :D

Pansy-Paws
01-16-2005, 07:26 PM
I've found that 1 snail per 4 gallons usually does the trick for me. My theory is that the much higher recommendations are historical ... based on when standard tanks didn't have live rock.

I've generally had good success with combined snails and hermits, but am planning to go hermit-less for the 375 gallon FOWLR.

Murminator
01-16-2005, 07:59 PM
I have 5 blue legs, 8 trochus snails, 1 emerald crab and I have 5 ceirth, 5 nass. snails and a cleaner shrimp coming all in a 20 gal :eek:
I think I may have to through in some aglae waffers so no one starves.

StirCrazy
01-16-2005, 10:53 PM
get both snails and hermits, snails disapear just as fast if you have hermits as they do it you don't.

I think J&L's numbers of hermits is way to much though

for you I would sugest maybe 30 hermits (bluelegged only) and 75 of each cerith and astra and 20 turbos. If we could get trocus anywhere that would be cool, but I never see them.

Steve

Dabbler
01-17-2005, 02:05 AM
One sea hare would do the trick for that tank. I have one in my 120 and there is no alge any where and he eats it all including cyno :eek:

Willow
01-17-2005, 02:21 AM
cyno isn't algae. it's a bacteria.

Quinster
01-17-2005, 03:33 AM
I have both tonnes of snails as well as hermits....blue legged, scarlets, electric blue, margarita, astrea, turbo..1 emerald crab, 2 black brittle star, 3 serpant stars and a 2 1/2' long black knobby cucumber....never had a problem with any of them. The only crabs which caused a problem were what J&L call Left Handed Hermit Crabs (LFS called them zebra crabs)...they did a number on both crabs and snails even with plenty of empty shells...allthough I seem to be the exception to the rule cause I also used to have 2 large green brittle stars with no problems and I have a pair of tomato clowns which host and spawn in a condylactis anemone (condylactis gigantea).

Dabbler
01-17-2005, 03:42 AM
Oops I was thinking of that terable red fuzzy alge like in this pic
http://www3.telus.net/public/dabbler/120%20Gallon%20004.jpg
Its that red junk in the Zoos My Sea Hare just cleaned it all out. I couldn't find anything that would eat that stuff and lucked out with him

StirCrazy
01-17-2005, 04:02 AM
Oops I was thinking of that terable red fuzzy alge like in this pic
http://www3.telus.net/public/dabbler/120%20Gallon%20004.jpg
Its that red junk in the Zoos My Sea Hare just cleaned it all out. I couldn't find anything that would eat that stuff and lucked out with him

Mexican turbos will make short work of that, you can get them at J&L. my whole tank was that and 15 turbos made it disapear in about 4 weeks.

Steve

AndyL
01-17-2005, 04:10 AM
Gotta ask it was mentioned "Blue legged" hermits only - why is that? My blue legged hermits never seem to do ANYTHING - where my scarlets are busy as bees 99% of the time.

Andy

StirCrazy
01-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Gotta ask it was mentioned "Blue legged" hermits only - why is that? My blue legged hermits never seem to do ANYTHING - where my scarlets are busy as bees 99% of the time.

Andy

Scarlets are good, but I wasn't refering to them, the true blue legged hermit is a awsome algae muncher but they are small so you need lots. the scarlets are expensive and a lot of them are not afordable, but they are good also.

Steve