PDA

View Full Version : Oceans Motions

deano
01-16-2005, 04:44 AM
I was wondering if anyone on the board is using one of the Oceans Motions models. I'm thinking of adding one to my 120g that is in the works, and I was wondering how people like them. I have read some good stuff about them on RC. If you have one, what version is it (V1,V2,V3 or V4) and would you buy it again?

Thanks

mr_alberta
01-16-2005, 04:54 AM
I have an old model 4-way with the old motor and non-grounded 2 prong plug in. The unit itself is quite bulky and there is an annoying buzz that comes from it constantly. Also, plumbing it can be a pain as all the outputs are on opposite sides which makes it bulky to plumb.

The unit, however, is very well built and can handle up to 8000GPH though it without breaking a sweat. Also, Paul, the inventor of the OM is quite a nice fellow and answers all the questions you ask in a very timely manner.

Overall I do like the unit and how it performs on my system. However, if you are trying to fit it into a tight space or not have some very convoluted plumbing, I think you might want to look for an alternative.

Bryan
01-16-2005, 06:40 AM
I was thinking of trying the Squirt on my 120 gallon. From what I read on other boards it is good value for the money. I haven't heard many positive things about the Ocean motions revolutions though.

Tarolisol
01-16-2005, 06:42 AM
I have a 4 way on my 210 and i think its great, mines brand new and i cant here a sound coming from it. A squirt seems a little small for a 120 depending on what you want to do. I would suggest using a bigger pump then you think you need because all the crazy plumbing turns you have to do with it can take a toll on the output.

Canadian Man
01-16-2005, 06:58 AM
Where did you guys get your units from?

mr_alberta
01-16-2005, 07:11 AM
I got mine used off of RC.

Bryan
01-16-2005, 07:49 AM
A squirt seems a little small for a 120 depending on what you want to do. .

I will be relying on tunzes for in tank water movement. My idea for the squirt is more as a means of varying the water flow from the pump to different areas in the tank.

monza
01-16-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm just plumbing mine in. Bought it from Ocean Motion, 4way version 2 I think. http://www.oceansmotions.com/

I think it's going to be great, makes zero noice when I plug it in not installed and very well built. Paul (Mr Ocean Motion) I agree is very helpful and totally into his product and customer service.

I also bought one of his Rev units looks pretty cool and again is well build.

I'll give more feed back when it's running.

Dave

SuperFudge
01-16-2005, 03:47 PM
I think the newest ones are of very good quality, they are also mag driven.
So if something gets lodged in them, they do not need a shaft replaced.

Ive been looking at them for a while now, but i await Paul`s answer to a few questions regarding a sort of custom one/two before i take the plunge.

Theres a forum on his website, if you have any questions about applications that i found very helpful.

Expensive little riggins tho... :confused: , then again, what in this hobby isnt ?

NewGuy, i did also read in that forum that a few guys have upgraded their old versions for a very reasonable cost...might be something you could look into.

Marc.

Tarolisol
01-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Mag driven? I know when i took mine appart there is a shaft.

SuperFudge
01-17-2005, 04:17 AM
Yeah,

Theyve changed the design somewhat, but an easy switch over...i think...from what ive read.

A little off topic, but hows the skimmer going Tarolisol ?

Tarolisol
01-17-2005, 05:05 AM
Skimmer will be tested tommorow, i have shortened the hight to about 48" and made a stand for it so the water will enter abover the sump water line.

monza
01-17-2005, 05:13 AM
From Paul on the Mag Drive:

' the only reason I developed it
was because I had a few issues with new tanks that had tons of sand dropped in
them without any filters and gave the driveshhaft a workout the driveshaft was
designed to be the weakest link to save the motor from getting overloaded, I
decided that if guys being guys refused to filter the water then I had to find a
way for them to avoid breaking the driveshaft.. the mag version was the
solution, if it does get jammed then it is just a matter of removing the lid and
cleaning out the culprit."

So unless you have a sandy tank you don't need the Mag drive.
Dave