PDA

View Full Version : Help

Richard_Dicosimo
01-15-2005, 11:37 PM
Hey have been reading posts here for a while lotsa good info going around. i have a 90gal reef tank that has been running for 3 months. i have an aquamedic skimmer on it rated to a 250 gal tank. a 400 watt mh and a atintic not sure what rating i have 1 rena xp3 canister filter with phos gard in it and sum water scrubers. i have 2 power head 802's. i keep my temp at 80 deg my atintic light runs for 10 hours my mh runs for 8. my last water test results came up, Calcium 500mq/L Nitrate 20ppm Phosphate 0.5ppm Amonia 0ppm nitritre0ppm ph8.2 kh/alkalinity 12.2dkh

OK MY PROBLEM

i have no problem keeping corals in fact they grow at a suprising rate(suprising to me at least). but my fish started dying about 2 and a half weeks ago and now all that i have left are my 2 sleeper gobys. i had 1 percula clown 3 yellowtail damsles 1 lawnmower goby and 1 blue tang all die on me. now im not a super experience reefer but i am a competant person. i have read several saltwater books on setup and maintanace so other then maybe adding the fish a little to fast i am not sure what im doing wrong, and im kinda afraid to buy anymore fish. what i dont understand is i thought corals where harder to keep then fish and all mine are doing fine the only coral i have had die on me is one that i ordered from vancouver and it didnt make the trip. PLEASE HELP ME

Bob I
01-15-2005, 11:45 PM
On the surface it sounds like too many fish too soon. Yes corals may be hard to keep, but fish react to a young tank much quicker. I have always said "take it slow". I myself am of the opinion that a tank is not ready for occupants until six months have past. :rolleyes:

Jim Barry
01-16-2005, 01:43 AM
Bob....

How come you correct my spelling every time, but you don't correct Richards?

:rolleyes:

Bob I
01-16-2005, 02:18 AM
Bob....

How come you correct my spelling every time, but you don't correct Richards?

:rolleyes:

Way, way too many errors, and have I ever corrected you without adding a :razz:, :question:

Not only that, but I know you, and expect you to take it in the spirit it is offered :biggrin: That is as a gentle ribbing. :rolleyes: You should never assume I am in any way serious :eek: It also helps my post count. :smilecol:, Tony keeps getting further, and further ahead. :mad:

Jim Barry
01-16-2005, 02:23 AM
:biggrin:

Canadian Man
01-16-2005, 07:00 AM
I'm catching ya definitly Bob!

monza
01-16-2005, 04:30 PM
Richard
I'd say Bob was right maybe a little early for that many fish. Anyways you should try and get your nitrates down. How often and how big are your water changes? When did you put the fish in and how long did they live? What corals do you have? What and how much did you feed the fish? Do you have live rock?
I’m not up on my rena xp3 canister filter with phos gard but to you keep all your filters clean and change your media regularly. IMO I'm not a fan of units like that and think a sump and live rock is a better option.What is a sum water scruber?
The rest of your equipment sounds great and no, I'd not be in a rush to buy more fish until we're sure your tank and conditions are right.
Welcome to Canreef!

Dave

Don’t mind Bob and the spelling stuff he’s some old guy we let hang out, he used to teach spelling in the army or something like that, and he’s a good speller!
:eek:

Richard_Dicosimo
01-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Thanks Monza

i try to do a water change of at least 15 gallons every week. some of the fish such as the clown and damsels all came with the tank. after my ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels where down after 3 weeks i started buying fish about one fish and one coral every other week. (i got my tank from my girlfriends cousin established with everything included). so basically i got an established tank. after the move some of the bacteria must have died because i had to semi re establish the tank. most of the fish lived about 2 months and then died with the exception of the sleeper gobys who are doing great. i have about 150 lb of live rock and a 3 inch sand bed. considering you guys thought i added to much to fast im sure u are going to be supprised at this list, for corals i have 1 pulsating xenia 2 carpet anenome's 1 red sea anenome 2 leather frags 3 trumpet corals(candy cane corals) 4 acropora 1 yellow polyup 1 green star polyup 2 frogspawn corals 1 flowerpot coral 1 green centered zoanthid 1 montipora 1 brain coral 1 tube worm anenome and 1 hawiian featherduster. all of my corals are frags other then the 1 frogspawn and the anenome's.

thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Richard

monza
01-17-2005, 05:21 AM
That story is suprising and makes the easy answer not valid. I have no quick answer sorry. That is a few to many anenome's for one tank but I don't think that's the problem. Lowering the nitrates will help for sure.
Sorry for not having a answer for you. I'll keep thinking about it.

Dave

danny zubot
01-18-2005, 03:26 PM
At first I was going to blame your Damsels for the deaths in you tank as they can be quite pesty at times but......wow you have a lot of live live stock for a relativley new tank. I have noticed that even moving a tank across the room can kill a sand bed. 3 inches in a 90 gallon if not matured long enough is a ticking time bomb. How's your algae situation? IMO, nutrient export, or nitrates contributed to your losses but may not be the only reason. Sounds like a cool setup, good luck!

Richard_Dicosimo
01-20-2005, 02:03 AM
i realy like my tank i already have dreams of a FAR bigger tank. my algea is going crazy right now, i have a 400 watt metal halide from the local grow shop over my tank right now, and have had for the past 2 and a half months. i orderd a 10k bulb from hellolights.com and had my friend in the states redirect it here, but i think its having problems geting across theo border. it was over a month ago i ordered it now. last friday i ordered another bulb from a site in ontario it should be here soon. http://www.mops.ca/
im kinda worried about the sand bed, already had some red algea growing in it so i have been sparingly siphoning it off during water changes. i also have 2 starfish that sink themselves in the sand bed and the sleeper gobys do a great job of making a huge mess of the sand bed.

Thanks for all the help.

danny zubot
01-20-2005, 02:50 PM
That red algae is most likey cyano bacteria, keep siphoning!!! :evil: You might want to try a conch to help with the sandbed, I've also heard that they will eat cyano but I can't confirm that yet.