PDA

View Full Version : painting my tank back

Willow
01-15-2005, 05:51 PM
i need to paint the back of my tank. any recomndations on paint and where to get it?

Dez
01-15-2005, 06:02 PM
I used a can of rustoleun spray paint...just let it fully cure.

Des

Bryan
01-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Use spray paint, amd clean the glass well with alcohol to remove any grease. Don't paint with a brush or roll it on as it applies too thick and will just peel off like a layer of skin.

Willow
01-15-2005, 07:45 PM
you think one coat would be enough?

Bryan
01-15-2005, 07:53 PM
No, use about 3 or 4 coats and only thick enough to block the light coming through. You will see what I mean after painting the first coat. Light will come throuh the areas that don't have enough paint. the trick is to not put on too thick of a coat or it will peel off.

StirCrazy
01-15-2005, 09:01 PM
go out and buy marine enamel, it will hold up to salt water spills and salt creep better than anything else. you need to clean the glass good and start painting on coats, it is going to take a few until it is a solid cover of paint. I did mine a medium blue but if I had to do it again I would go black.

Steve

Rikko
01-15-2005, 09:52 PM
I used a can of Krylon flat black spray paint on my 65. I gave it a full coat and waited 10-15 mins (in summer air) before recoating. I guess I got a good 3 coats on there before it started spraying thin. Holds up like a champ.

I've heard a few painters-by-trade say that brushing is the absolute best way to go but I prefer the simplicity of spray.

I can't seem to find any of the links, but here's an old discussion with some ideas:
http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51615

Bryan
01-15-2005, 09:54 PM
No experienced painter, but I had no luck applying paint to glass using a brush or a roller. Would just peel off. Spraying worked fine.

Nemo
01-16-2005, 01:02 AM
you have pm

Robert

Seamonkey
01-16-2005, 01:53 AM
:biggrin: I used the krylon paint in a spray can. Deep Blue, got it from Canadian Tire, sprayed on a coat and let dry, applied about 4 coats. This has worked great for me. No more salt creep and after 8 months, not a single scratch. Tried regular paint from paint store and it peeled off. This is the way to go and looks great.

Skimmerking
01-16-2005, 02:57 AM
I did mine black with melamine and man i thought black would look funny ,but after having my stand painted black it looks really good.

mike

Reefhawk1
01-16-2005, 03:12 AM
I used Krylon fusion for plastic and glass. It is scratch and chip resistant. It also dries quickly and comes in various colours.

Stan

Willow
01-16-2005, 04:09 AM
thanks for everyones suggestions.. i went and grabbed a can of rustoleum this afternoon. i'll post some pics when i get it done.

Willow
01-16-2005, 06:42 AM
oh um one more question, can i clean the glass with hydrogen peroxide? it seems to be whats under the sink in the bathroom.

Bryan
01-16-2005, 06:53 AM
Not really, unlesss your goal is to disinfect the glass surface. Use window cleaner and then some rubbing alcohol on a clean rag to remove any residue.

StirCrazy
01-16-2005, 04:44 PM
oh um one more question, can i clean the glass with hydrogen peroxide? it seems to be whats under the sink in the bathroom.

nope that is a disenfectant, use windex

inspector
01-18-2005, 05:48 AM
Hi everyone,I was going to paint the back of my tank but when i was in homedepot i found a piece of plastic laminate the stuff they use on kitchen and bathroom counter tops.I got a 4' x3' piece for $5.00 it is black and look's great,the good thing about it is it was easy to install totally water proof and comes in lot's of colours and patterns and if you don't like the colour you can just change it no messing with paint .thanks Paul

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-18-2005, 07:45 AM
I'd like to pick up a piece of plexi mirror (my friend Lennox has one) to stick on the back on my tank to give it the illusion of being larger :lol: It looks great in his tank & I like being able to see what's going on better.

If I don't, I'll probably pick up some plastic laminate sheets like what Paul found. Thanks for the info Paul.

Anthony

G1GY
01-18-2005, 08:28 AM
I like Pauls idea! :biggrin:

The mirror idea would be great while it's a new set up, but I like to let the back glass get covered with coraline and it would just look dirty after a while.