PDA

View Full Version : Bloated fish

Murminator
01-15-2005, 05:04 PM
I have an Australian Rainbow, when we woke up this moring he is about twice his normal size like he is bloated or something he's HUGE. You can see it is more energetic for him to swim but he seem ok otherwise. :confused:
Any ideas???

Cap'n
01-15-2005, 11:31 PM
What have you been feeding him?

Murminator
01-16-2005, 03:49 AM
Just good ol flakes don't think it has pigged out. I couldn't get any good pics but I did get a good video but it is to big to post I can email it to anyone if the think they know what it is.
Some people think it is carrying eggs but I dont think it could get so big so quick :confused:

Rikko
01-16-2005, 05:04 AM
Swim bladder infection? I've had so-so results treating with Melafix, though really for internal stuff a medicated food will work better. Tetra used to make a medicated food that's been banned and regulated all to hell, but I believe I've seen recipes for mixing flake food with erythromycin (sp) tablets to conjure up an identical treatment.

Eggs? Usually they don't come up that quickly..

Intestinal blockage? (Oh, crap)

Dropsy? Usually it comes on gradually and is accompanied by scales popping off.. Unlikely from what you've described.

What's your water quality like? If you did mega water changes you might find it clears up on its own. If you're worried and a swim bladder infection looks about right, you could have a go at some kind of antibacterial treatment.

cc_bruno
01-16-2005, 05:59 AM
I agree with Rikko, but, I've also had dropsy come on rather quickly. Before the scales pop off they'll look like "pine cones", as in, standing on end and looking like they're curling up into a nice point. If that's the case, I hate to say it, but it's bye bye fish, (I have never had a fish recover from dropsy, and wasted enough money to know that most don't work). If it's swim bladder, then there's a good chance you can treat it and all will be well, (how far along it is will depend on how bad he's swimming... no control over his swimming, REALLY bad, can still swim normally, you got a good chance at recovery). If, on the other hand, it turns out to be constipation, switch his food to completely veggy based... the ruffage will help out, (and help clear it out). I hope that helps.

Cap'n
01-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Agree with the diet change. Try something with a lower protein content. Still feed some of the original, but in smaller portions.

Murminator
01-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Today it seems to be swimming alot easier the swelling hasn't gone down he still eats and chases other fish :confused:

doublette
01-16-2005, 05:26 PM
If it is constipation, feed some peas. Works like a charm, just make sure you skin the peas first.

cc_bruno
01-16-2005, 11:20 PM
I never heard, nor thought about using peas... makes sense though. Good to know.

StirCrazy
01-17-2005, 02:44 AM
could it be egg bound?

Steve

Murminator
01-25-2005, 04:15 AM
Well we just don't know what it was.....today he died :cry: