PDA

View Full Version : Dose any one know were I can get this

Jason McK
01-15-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm looking for a local (Lower Mainland) source for ratchet hose clamps like below

J

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/537DSCF0001.JPG

Corey
01-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Ive seen them at every Rona ive been to.

trilinearmipmap
01-15-2005, 05:39 PM
I have a few that came with my tank plumbing and I don't need them, I will figure out the sizes.

Gujustud
01-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Pretty sure I've seen them at Home Hardware. What size?

LostMind
01-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Can I give you my 2 cents on those?

They break when in salt water for any period of time (about 1 month ime).

Jason McK
01-15-2005, 11:49 PM

So what would you recommend?

J

Willow
01-16-2005, 12:26 AM
i use stainless steel hose clamps. very reliable, if in high salt area check on them every 6 months or so.

StirCrazy
01-16-2005, 12:34 AM
i use stainless steel hose clamps. very reliable, if in high salt area check on them every 6 months or so.

Willow, didn't you just set up your tank? If so I would ditch the stainless steel hose clamps, they are a low quality stainless and will rust rather quickly. I use them outside the tank but in the stand and I have to replace those every 6 months.. I wouldn't trust them in the water.

Steve

Nemo
01-16-2005, 01:13 AM
Well if you would all like some very high quality 100% stainless steel hose clamps (316) stainless drop me a pm

Robert

Willow
01-16-2005, 02:56 AM

Willow, didn't you just set up your tank? If so I would ditch the stainless steel hose clamps, they are a low quality stainless and will rust rather quickly. I use them outside the tank but in the stand and I have to replace those every 6 months.. I wouldn't trust them in the water.

Steve

i am in the process of resetting up my tank. however i did run for 3 years previously using stainless clamps on the same tank. the only one that showed any rust was the one the flexhose directly over the sump. i checked it out pretty carefully and it was some surface rust, not a big deal imo. sorry i didnt relise that these would go in water, mine are not actually in the water.

so when i buy stainless steel hose clamps at HD they arent actually stainless? im confused, i just bought some more and you have me thinking.

Nemo
01-16-2005, 03:07 AM
most stainless you find at the hard ware store are plated, or at the very best a low grade stainless, but almost always the scres on the clamps are not stainless. For high grade clamps you will not find them in hard ware store

Robert

trilinearmipmap
01-16-2005, 03:22 AM
What about zip ties, will they do the trick?

Willow
01-16-2005, 03:38 AM
most stainless you find at the hard ware store are plated, or at the very best a low grade stainless, but almost always the scres on the clamps are not stainless. For high grade clamps you will not find them in hard ware store

Robert

i use 1 1/4 hose, what would real stainless clamps cost do you think? i think i need about 10.

StirCrazy
01-16-2005, 04:17 AM
What about zip ties, will they do the trick?

ok what exactly are you using it for?

Steve

Nemo
01-16-2005, 07:24 AM
most zip ties have metal in them to hold the tie. You can find them with no metal or stainless. But for holding a hose with pressure or to use it to clamp down they are not recomended.

I think I should explain myself a little. I work for a company called Lawson Products. What I do is sell high end products to indusrties manufacturing or repairing equipment ect. I also spent a lot of years as a chief engineer in various facilities.
I am only offering my 10 cents, and if any one would like some of what I may have to offer I am more than happy to help. But I sell to shops that spend thousands and do not make any money selling a little here and there.
Because I have been getting a ton of help from people on this board I am more than happy to return the favor when I can.

Robert

Van down by the river
01-16-2005, 06:10 PM

I don't see the problem with the plastic hose clamps. I can see if you were opening and closing them frequently they might crack. Of course Stainless steel hose clamps would be most ideal, but as others have said I find that they always rust.

I have used plastic clamps on many tanks and had no major issues with them. Maybe yours were a different grade of plastic. Two little fishies carries them, as well as rainbow Lifeguard, but local hardwares stores may also have a supply of them.

I do find as the hose compresses you have to tighten them from time to time.

sumpfinfishe
01-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Where the heck have you been hiding out Steve :exclaim:

Drop me a PM will ya, we should hook up for a java :biggrin:

JohnM99
01-30-2005, 12:15 AM
I have found some plastic screw/ratchet clamps - not as good as the steel ones, but pretty good.

I agree that the ones pictured above do not work for very long. They tended to bend off axis and the teeth would not match.

Funny, though - a couple of pumps I have placed underwater have had their outlet connections go very loose over time, to the point where you can just slide it off, but this hasn't really mattered - they still work fine. Made cleaning easier, in fact. The outlet hose has just assumed the required shape, and keeps it.