PDA

View Full Version : How many marine wholesalers supply the Vancouver market?

trilinearmipmap
01-14-2005, 07:20 PM
I wanted to special order a fish, Siganus doliatus (http://www.reefimages.com/cgi-reefimages/page.cgi?list=Goatfish&slide=43.jpg), asked if it could be ordered in at a Vancouver fish store, and was told it was not available from the wholesaler.

Depending on how many wholesalers supply the Vancouver area it might or might not be pointless to ask other stores to find this fish.

Old Guy
01-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Places like J&L are importer's and don't generally deal with our local wholesalers. I'm not sure if that fish is what they were calling the scribbeled rabbit fish that they just had and/or still have but looks close. I would give them a quick e-mail.

trilinearmipmap
01-14-2005, 09:15 PM
The ones they had in were Siganus virgatus which is a close relative but larger and not as nice looking as Siganus doliatus.

Chin_Lee
01-14-2005, 10:47 PM
u have good tastes in fish .... appearance wise :biggrin: thats a nice looking fish

DBM
01-15-2005, 07:56 AM
I know of six importers here in Vancouver, but only 2 are actual wholesalers that tank fish- the rest tranship.

What you need to do is contact a store that gets multiple shipments a week, and can offer quality service (one that will work hard to get you that fish). The one that comes to mind right off the bat would be Hidden Reef, but there may be others.

It's not an expensive, or popular fish so therein lies part of the problem.

StirCrazy
01-15-2005, 02:46 PM
I know of six importers here in Vancouver, but only 2 are actual wholesalers that tank fish- the rest tranship.

6 importers? hmmm I would have said 2 or 3.

Steve

DBM
01-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Actually now that I think about it more, I recall 9 that have imported marines and resold to retailers in 2004. If you want a list I can PM you.