PDA

View Full Version : damn tank!!!!

digitalsteve
01-14-2005, 05:55 AM
da!!!! my tank is going all to hell, i am doing a 75% water change to try and combat the algae and the cyano now that i have run the chemi clean for 2 days. my corals are all looking like total crap and the liverock has developed this wierd coating , gonna scrub that too while i am at it .... here's hoping i can save the day..... at least my fish seem healty still*(crosses fingers). aside from a skimmer is there anything i can use in the tank to get rid of extra nutrients? i have heard people using macro algae , would that help?

Tarolisol
01-14-2005, 05:58 AM
Yes a refugium would help a lot. Thats what most people do have a seperate tank or section in the sump dedicated to macro algeas which will take out the nutrents. Are you using RO-DI water if not doing that many water changes might be continuing the problem.

digitalsteve
01-14-2005, 06:03 AM
the water change i will be doing will be with ro water as well as the auto top off i have built . what kind of macro would you suggest and where do i get it .... will this help cure my damn algae problem?

Willow
01-14-2005, 06:21 AM
think about getting a phosban reactor to try and lower your phosphates.

muck
01-14-2005, 06:27 AM
what kind of macro would you suggest and where do i get it .... will this help cure my damn algae problem?
I have a wack of cheato in my fuge and its working great. I did have hair algae growing on the back glass, but when i added the cheato to my fuge it was gone in a week or so. There must be someone near by that needs to trim theirs back soon... :razz:

Tarolisol
01-14-2005, 07:25 AM
I have cheato and calurpa. just pretty much any type of macro algea will work.

digitalsteve
01-14-2005, 08:35 AM
it settled then ... anyone in the van area know where i can get some macro , or is anyone willing to sell me some>

G1GY
01-14-2005, 08:59 AM
da!!!! my tank is going all to hell, i am doing a 75% water change

That's a pretty large amount to change at one time. Are you sure that won't cause some problems?

40 - 50% is already a huge one.

Once I done a big water change on my 33 gallon reef and lost a bunch of livestock. I'm not sure if the water change caused it, or something else.

Now I only do 20 - 40 % at the most.

But I could very well be wrong on this one.

Good luck. :smile:

danny zubot
01-14-2005, 03:35 PM
I agree! That is a huge water change. When I was going through a cyano bloom a while back the only water I changed was to replace the water I siphoned while sucking the sand clean, 5 gallons or so. I also had some hair algae bloom heavily on various rocks. I left the hair algae alone until the my cyano treatment was done. Don't forget that the hair algae is just doing its job and will actually help your fight against the cyano. Once the cyano was gone I did the recommended water change (25%) and scrubbed the hair algae off of the few heavily covered rocks.

I have a spot or two of hair algea now that I just leave but other wise the tank looks great. How is your reef janitor population?

1bigstud
01-17-2005, 01:32 AM
What janitors are recomended to get rid off hair algae??

Tigger
01-17-2005, 02:15 AM
Sea Hares are the ultimate hair algae machines

Macro algea will help, but it won't fix the the problem immediately