PDA

View Full Version : my coldweather project

Dez
01-14-2005, 05:46 AM
It was cold today so I only worked a little bit outside and made this for a friend.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/194skimmer.jpg

I made a skimmer like this out of an A.R.M. container once and it worked like a charm. Very simple Euro style design.

Enjoy,

Des

muck
01-14-2005, 06:06 AM
Hey Dez,

Where did you pick up the venturi? and the uniseals?
Looks sweet by the way!! :cool:

Dez
01-14-2005, 06:16 AM
Ryan,

venturi I had from a couple of years ago, it came with a pump. I usually make my own venturi though. I ordered the uniseals online somewhere in the states.

Des

muck
01-14-2005, 06:22 AM
hmm... do you normally make them out of a squished Tee Fitting?

and

how high is the water level going to be in the sump it is sitting in?
or does that not matter... :confused:

Dez
01-14-2005, 06:26 AM
Yeah the squished T fitting works well, or you can make them out of different barbed fittings with no squishing required. The water level in the sump really doesn't matter as long as it is below the required water level in the skimmer which is just below the collection cup. The main thing is for the water level in the sump to remain constant, so an auto top up or a separate skimmer chamber. Hope this helps.

Des

muck
01-14-2005, 06:32 AM
We talked earlier about pipe sizing for the skimmer im building.
I will be using a mag5 and feeding the skimmer with a 1/2" line.
Was it 1" on the output you suggested. I can't recall. :confused:

Dez
01-14-2005, 06:37 AM
Yeah, this one is a mag 7 with 1/2 inch in. I did suggest 1 inch out, you could go 3/4 but that's really pushing it. I made em with 3/4 outs for a while but then you can't run your sump water level high at all....

Some would have a riser tube before the collection cup, but this allow easy access for cleaning etc. The other option is to go with flanges but then that's a hassle to service. I used to go flanges but then I found I wouldn't keep up with maintenance/cleaning. This way is much easier for the lazy man.

btw, shouldn't you be in bed?

Des

muck
01-14-2005, 06:50 AM
btw, shouldn't you be in bed?
I was about to ask you the same thing.. :razz:

I think I will try the 1" output. Sounds like it will work better for me.

Murminator
01-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Where did you get the tubes and collection cup N stuff?

See you got yourself an avatar. Tell Caley nice website and pics :mrgreen:

Dez
01-14-2005, 06:36 PM
I believe I got the tubing from GE polymer. You have to buy minimum 6 ft lengths which make your average tubes over $100. My acrylic sheets I've had for a while from the same place as well..

Des