PDA

View Full Version : Sup to my fellow islanders

Kabong
01-14-2005, 04:56 AM
Im currently in the planning stages of my first MW tank. So its nice to find something close to home. Hopefully you guys check in often enoug hthat you can help me find stuff localy.

So far ive learned stay the hell off the island when it comes to equipment J&L over in Van seems to be the way to go (feel free to point me to some other choices though). Im currently looking at a used 33Gal long in creatures though. Some of there staff seems to pull there live stock info out there ass though and im not fond of the no warranty on livestock thing either. What's there faces down by micheals / futureshop seems alright along with spechs (same owners i believe) That it isnt it? I mean besides (shudder) Petcetera.

Anyways im just spouting off now.

Also if anyone want to help me out with a good deal on some used equipment let me know :mrgreen:

JohnM99
01-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Welcome - I think you are right for equipment - and you will also find that prices can be a lot lower in USA, especially with the strong dollar (not yet reflected in local's prices) - Premium Aquatics, Reef Geek and Marine Depot are very good.

You can't buy livestock from the USA - theoretically possible, but completely impractical.

I would suggest NOT getting a 33 gallon tank - way too volatile - the bigger the volume of water the more stable - many say at least 50-60 gal.

Tanks can be found cheaply also at King Edward Aquariums on Kingsway in east Burnaby.

Lights, pumps etc are WAY overpriced on the Island.

Check out the paper for used stuff - some excellent deals come up quite often.

I enjoy shopping at Hillside Tropical at Hillside and Cedar Hill for livestock - prices are higher than the mainland, but good to support a local shop and Cora is very nice. Can't beat seeing what you are going to get - you can also buy something, and pick it up in a couple of weeks - making sure it is still doing well.

Good luck, and have fun - its a great hobby.

StirCrazy
01-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Only store in town really worth its salt is Safari. Cora at hillside is nice but her salt water leaves a lot to be desired.

on a side not I will have a skimmer coming up for sale in the next month or two (as soon as I get off my butt and finish my new one :rolleyes: )

anyways use the search feature of the board on anything you are interested in asking questions about and if you can't find it ask away, lots of people to help.

Oh almost forgot, watch out for Reef_Raf, he's different and unpredictable :wink: :mrgreen:

Steve

JohnM99
01-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Hi Steve
I know you like Safari, and they certainly have some good stuff there. (Too bad they didn't enlarge their SW area when they moved).
What specific bad experiences have you had at Hillside ? - I have not been at it nearly as long as you, but have not had any bad experiences with Cora - (apart from seeing some obviously dyed colts etc - which unfortunately is pretty common). In fact, my livestock from her shop has generally done very well.

In the market for a tank you say? Like kitsch by any chance? Have a look at this stupendous specimen -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=4350539623&rd=1

Left me quite speechless.

Kabong
01-21-2005, 01:32 AM
I know about is bigger is better when it comes to marine. Thats why while 33Gal is going to be the main im planning on a 20 Gal sump. So that will bring my Size up. Another plus is the 33 Gal is a long, Since im planning on going with live sand, I'll have lots of bottom surface for the natural Bio-filtration. And just to round it off i was thinking a Aqua C's Remora for a PS. Personally id love to go bigger but id have to convince my wife. When i first metioned Marine tank to my wife, I got the where are are we going to stick another tank? got her to agree to a 10 Gal Nano. then talked her in to a 20gal, Then Since the 33gal's were nice and cheap i got her to go for that LOL. I think ive used up all my Presasuve skills on her though. I almost had her hooked on a larger tank when she saw a Mandarin, But she backed out when she relized how big id have to go to keep one. So while a bit optimistic for a newb to marine hopefully with time and patience ill pull this off with out loss of life. (I do have Brackish xp So i understand a little more then your avreage freshwater coming in)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-21-2005, 06:13 AM
Welcome to Canreef Kabong.