View Full Version : Kalkwasser

bear27
01-14-2005, 12:20 AM
I have Kalkwasser for sale in the following sizes

1 litre jar=15$

I will ship if you pay shipping charges. respond here or PM me if interested

Willow
01-14-2005, 12:44 AM
is this a brand name kalk or pickiling lime? how many grams are in the liter size?

bear27
01-14-2005, 02:21 AM
Its pure kalkwasser pickleing lime is not allowed in canada,and I'm not sure of the weight but the 1 litre jar is about the size of a peanut butter jar if that helps

Willow
01-14-2005, 02:40 AM
what? i bought pickling lime the otherday at OA. jack what have you gotten me into!

muck
01-14-2005, 02:42 AM
what? i bought pickling lime the otherday at OA. jack what have you gotten me into!
sshhhh!!! :mrgreen:

powerboy
01-15-2005, 06:10 PM
Its pure kalkwasser pickleing lime is not allowed in canada,and I'm not sure of the weight but the 1 litre jar is about the size of a peanut butter jar if that helps

I can certainly appreciate the fact you want to flog your wares, but before you freak people out, please know what you are talking about. BOTH pickling lime and "kalkwasser" are nothing more than Calcium Hydroxide.

Besides, your prices are too high for what it is.

smokinreefer
01-15-2005, 06:22 PM
just a FYI...

"kalkwasser" is like "kleenex" its more of a brand name that simply refers to a product... and being such, its a name that has been used so widespread that people instantly associate its "brand name" with said product.

the kalkwasser is a german word simply meaning calcium water!

to make calcium water, one just needs to mix calcium hydroxide aka. kalkwasser, calcium hydroxide, pickling lime... with water.

calcium hydroxide is legal and available in canada.

typically calcium hydroxide packaged for reefers, for pickling, food industry, lab grade etc are not 100% pure... but in the high 90s. if you do indeed have 100% calcium hydroxide that is totally awesome, but not necessary for our intended purpose.

sorry for hijacking your thread... just thought this was a good piece of triva for us reefers! :mrgreen:

Bryan
01-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Besides, your prices are too high for what it is.

I have to second that. MOPS sells the ESV line of Calcium Hydroxide, 4lbs for 34.99.

bear27
01-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Prices changed

IslandReefer
01-19-2005, 09:59 AM
For all those interested:
I have been using Andy's "Kalk" for close to 1 year in my 90gal mixed reef.
I was unhappy with the brown-grey sludge left over by the Seachem Kalk and buying it on this Island, it costs way more than $12 or $20/l....so...I was in Calgary and got some from Andy to try.

Just to clear up a couple of points (IMHO):
Right you are Shao, this is Calcium hydroxide( assuming it is still the same kind), pharm/food grade (read it on the bag) otherwise known as kalkwasser (chalk water) when dissolved in water. The Canadian FDA (whatever it is called) doesn't approve calcium hydroxide for human consumption...sooo, in Canada at least, it officially can't really be called pickling lime. :rolleyes: ...all the same stuff whatever you call it.

...back to the story....
This Kalk is a finer powder than Seachem, dissolves better and leaves virtually no residue...(esp with a little vinagar). Resulting in kalkwasser of about 650ppm calcium.
I will be building a reactor soon and am looking forward to seeing how this Kalk performs...esp. pertaining to max calcium output and accumulated residue in the reactor....Anyone who trys this please let me know how it worked in a Neilson reactor.
I recommend this product over the commercial Seachem kalk anyday! and since markets tend to be competitive, I suspect EBV is no better.
As with ING .....and save your Money! :smile:

Thanks Andy

Bryan
01-20-2005, 02:19 AM
I suspect EBV is no better.

I have used ESV for years and I find it one of the better calcium hydroxide powders out there. Does not leave a muddy dark residue like some other brands I have tried.

IslandReefer
01-20-2005, 10:32 AM
I stand corrected...
Thanks Bryan, Good tip, I just assumed they were all similar in quality as long as you went name brand.
Cheers

bear27
01-23-2005, 01:49 AM
bump

bear27
01-28-2005, 12:58 AM
Bump