PDA

View Full Version : Mild? Palytoxin Sunday

Dresden
06-08-2021, 07:45 PM
Just a general reminder on the dangers of Palys. Was moving a small rock with Zoas and Palys to the new tank and dropped the rock in some strong Hydrogen Peroxide. I have some bubble algae in the tank and some branching hydroids on the coral so I wanted to try to remove most of it with the dip. I had gloves but no mask or eye protection. It was a small rock, baseball sized with about 20% coverage of coral.

I woke up the next day feeling hung over, shivering and nauseous. Tried to sleep in bed all day but wasn't able to fall asleep. Felt a bit better in the evening but it's been 2 days now and I'm feeling 75%.

Just a reminder to everyone and if you can remind your LFS if they are selling palys they should provide warnings. I knew about Palytoxin and didn't think about the effect Hydrogen Peroxide would have.

thanks

brisco
06-09-2021, 03:39 PM
thanks for the reminder

Dresden
06-09-2021, 08:41 PM
Update.. was kidney stones.

but still an important reminder lol (ouch)

brisco
06-09-2021, 10:56 PM
How did you get kidney stones from putting coral in hydrogen peroxide? lol

Dresden
06-10-2021, 02:47 AM
I am sure it is unrelated. Before I learned I had kidney stones I suspected I had palytoxin poisoning.

smokinreefer
06-10-2021, 06:51 PM
Whoa. Sorry to hear about the kidney stones, hope you are recovering well.
At least it wasn't palytoxin poisoning, that sounds scary. But yeah, maybe no peroxide on palys from now on OK?!

It's one of those things I think that you don't pay much mind to until it hits close to home.

I always make sure the kids don't touch zoas and palys when they're mucking around the tank with me. Yet, I know I can improve the precautions I impose on myself when working with those corals.