PDA

View Full Version : do you use dielectric grease?

Willow
01-13-2005, 05:24 AM
ive had so many problems in the past with my pc bulbs arcing and breaking in the sockets that im going to start using dielectric grease. does anyone know how much of this i should use and do i just stick it on the pins or anywhere else?

thanks

Justin
01-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Rub a small amount between your first finger and your thumb. Then rub all the pins with anice even coat.

Also take a small dab with your fore firger, and press it into the pin receptacles on the end cap.

Make sure you clean any grease that is on the flat surface of the end cap clean off. You only want the grease on the pins and in the female receptacles.

Nemo
01-14-2005, 01:50 AM
most of the time people have problems with this only because they do not get them screwed in far enough. I would look at what is in the base in the way of build up before I add the dielectric grease. A good contact spray cleaner to clean before that application would help

Robert

Willow
01-14-2005, 02:04 AM
i don't think my bulbs ever got a decent seat in the caps. they have rust in them when i was checking everything out. i just spend 80 bucks on new cords and caps. pfo recommended that i add the grease to help seat the bulbs better and help elimnate arcing. i didnt know you could do that but after busted bulbs and new caps it's worth a try.

Nemo
01-14-2005, 02:57 AM
Well the dielectric grease can not hurt, just remember to keep it in the area of the contact points.
As far as your cords and sockets go, if you can return them do so.
1. you can clean up rust from the ones you have.

OR

2. I just bought 2 new sockets from the wholesaler for $8.00 each. Cords and ends may cost you anothe $30.00 depending on the quality you go with.

I used Nedco Electric to buy these, they are on Terminal Ave. in Vancouver

Robert