PDA

View Full Version : Six Line Wrasse Tankmate

Werbo
01-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Wanting to add a tankmate that will be compatible with a 6 Line Wrasse. Already have chromis, percula, and yellow tang. Want to add another small fish. Wondering about firefish or perhaps a goby. Anyone see any potential problems?

muck
01-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Whats your tank specs?

Werbo
01-12-2005, 09:58 PM
90 G mixed reef

Beverly
01-12-2005, 10:00 PM
From what I have read, 6 lines are scrappers and should be the last fish you add to a tank. Judging from the sparring after adding a 6 line to my 67g that had an established pair of skunk clowns, I would not add any more fish to my tank.

DEAD_BY_DAWN
01-12-2005, 10:26 PM
ive had no problem adding other fish such as neon gobies etc,i think it will depend on , if the other fish that you wanted to add will fight over the same food IMO stay away from other wrasses

Snappy
01-12-2005, 10:52 PM
I have a six line wrasse in my 130 gal and since him I have added a firefish, manderin, 2x blue line chromis, sailfin blennie, yellow tang, royal gramma, percula clown, cleaner wrasse, and several inverts with no problems what so ever. I also have a yellow wrasse as well as plenty of others but the first bunch mentioned were added after the 6 line wrasse.
Greg

Cap'n
01-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Only ever had one fish take a beating from a six-line, and that was another red wrasse.

Compatible with almost all other fish, IMO and experience.

muck
01-12-2005, 11:07 PM
I would caution you against adding a mandarin as they consume the same food source. I have heard of some peoples mandarins getting a real shellacking. Although there is exceptions to every rule.

hockey nut
01-13-2005, 07:37 AM
My sixline was the first ever fish I bought. He is now close to four inches long. He has had many tank mates including regal tang, flame angel, bangia cardnal, fire fish, gobies, percs, chromis, and I'm sure a couple more. NEVER had a problem with him at all. In fact probly the most easy going fish I've ever had. I,ve never had a flat worm outbreak and he never picks on my shrimps or hermets etc.

Very active fish and fun to watch.

a great fish indeed IMHO.

HTH :biggrin:

Bob I
01-13-2005, 03:59 PM
I would caution you against adding a mandarin as they consume the same food source. I have heard of some peoples mandarins getting a real shellacking. Although there is exceptions to every rule.

That has been my experience. Althought the wrasse and the Mandarin got along for awhile, he suddenly decided to tear up the Mandarin. Right now there is a Yellow Clown Goby in with him, he never bothers it.

Coldwater
01-13-2005, 10:29 PM
They are really cool little guys. I used to have one until my seabae anemone ate it.

Matt

Seamonkey
01-16-2005, 03:01 AM
my sixline gets along with everyone. He is housed with 2 percs, yellow tang, 6 yellow tail damsals, royal gramma, small watchman gobie a hermit crab and a cleaner shrimp, all in a 45 gal. Very busy fellow, but bothers no one, and is fish with great personality. :lol:

trilinearmipmap
01-16-2005, 03:24 AM
And what about a pair or trio? Do you need to get an already mated pair or is it like clowns where you buy small ones and they sort out who wears the pants in the family?

Murminator
01-16-2005, 03:42 AM
WOW Seamonkey 12 fish in a 45 gal :eek: That must be pushing the bioload

Willow
01-16-2005, 04:18 AM
the only problem i had with a 6line was it's continued attempts to live on the other side of the glass. he finally ended up living in the overflow.

Cap'n
01-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Yep, lost my first one that way as well. They seem to have a nightly hyperactivity period where they dart back an forth across the tank and dive crazily through the rockwork, and, if you're not careful, try to explore the rest of the room.

Bob I
01-16-2005, 04:11 PM
And what about a pair or trio? Do you need to get an already mated pair or is it like clowns where you buy small ones and they sort out who wears the pants in the family?

I have personally seen two of them in a six foot tank. They got along very well. The only problem was that they invariably ended up in overflows. :sad: