PDA

View Full Version : anyone know about birds?

littleboyblue16
01-12-2005, 03:53 AM
i need your help, my cat that i am watching desided today would be a good day to go after my female canary, and broke her leg, and of course when she had eggs on it, is there anyway i can fix her leg, its not bleeding, its just bent backwards, and it doesnt look like shes in pain, and i think i might have to take care of the eggs, can i just do what with a normal heat lamp?

i need need any help

Matt

G1GY
01-12-2005, 03:57 AM
Most animals don't show pain the way we do. Take the bird to the vet. I doubt you'll be able to fix it's leg on your own. It is in pain, even it doesn't show it. (Oh, and kick the cat! :mad: )

Richer
01-12-2005, 03:58 AM
Sorry to hear about your bird. It definately sounds like something I'd let the vet handle though :eek: . Maybe ask Bev? I know she takes care a number of finches and may know what to do.

-Rich

littleboyblue16
01-12-2005, 04:08 AM
oh that can got kicked pretty good lol, well its like 10pm sounds mean, but i am not taking the bird to the vet at this time, last time i had to do that, with my dog and only the emergancy vet is open, and once you walk in the door its 85 bucks to look at the dog!
and i know i can get a female for 40 bucks, so yeah.... lol

Matt

EmilyB
01-12-2005, 07:35 AM
so yeah, eye-bay...hope you enlist in the army soon.

Beverly
01-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Definitely get that canary to the vet ASAP.

Also, to protect the bird from further attack, put it in your bedroom with the door closed so the cat can't get at it.

littleboyblue16
01-12-2005, 06:52 PM
so this morning, when the vet was a little cheaper, I took the canary to it, and the vet said that there is not much she can do, because were it is broken right at the hip, so she just cut off the leg, and she stitched it up, and the canary is fine now, she is perching, with only one foot, and caring for her eggs she has, she seems happy now, she on antibiotics, but the vet thinks she will do fine with one leg, also the birds in the first place were on my computer room were the cat is not allowed to go, so the door is shut all the time, but I just left the door open to grab something and the cat was alrighty there, now I know to take more safety measures when I open and close the door, thank god for dogs! They would never do anything like that, but then again I should never say never!

Matt

Beverly
01-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Glad the canary is okay. She can live a pretty normal life on one leg, but the pain she will be in until she heals is going to be terrible :sad: Take special care with her for the next few weeks. Is she flying around yet? Can she easily get to seed, water, lettuce?

kari
01-12-2005, 10:52 PM
now I know to take more safety measures when I open and close the door, thank god for dogs! They would never do anything like that, but then again I should never say never!
Matt

Never say Never. My dog ate one of my wifes finches thru the cage. Not sure who got the worst of it, the bird, the dog or me.

littleboyblue16
01-13-2005, 06:16 AM
Bev: shes flying around seems like shes enjoying every minute...

Kari: yeah like i said never say never!

Beverly
01-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Great, Matt :biggrin:

Delphinus
01-13-2005, 03:41 PM
And don't kick the cat. I hope that was a joke.

littleboyblue16
01-13-2005, 09:45 PM
yeah it was a joke, but believe me the cat is going back ASAP!