PDA

View Full Version : Yellow sun coral

michika
01-11-2005, 11:03 PM
I recently got myself some sun coral, and now I'm starting to question all my prior research on this coral.

Most of my research indicates that they need to be fed reguarly and they need to be target fed. From what I can tell I should be feeding this coral at least once a day (according to my research).

Would only feeding every other day be alright?

What are the pro/cons to feeding daily or every alternate or third day? And why?

mr_alberta
01-11-2005, 11:44 PM
When I had my Sun Coral, I fed every 2 or 3 days. I didn't want to feed them that often because it was a pain having to go in with tweezers every night. The colony was very healthy and a couple new polyps eventually sprung up.

michika
01-11-2005, 11:47 PM
I think I'm going to scale back feeding to every two or three days and then see how it works. I'll just play it by ear from there.

Dabbler
01-12-2005, 12:14 AM
We feed our suncoral every 2-3 days with mysis. It does need target feeding to every polop. We just use a turkey baseter (sp) and just hose him with mysis :biggrin:

michika
01-12-2005, 12:17 AM
I do a mix of mysis, brine, and cyclopese defrosted in boiling garlic water. I do feed mind in a cut off pop bottle though to stop my cleaners from theiving from my coral.

Willow
01-12-2005, 12:49 AM
so whats the procedure? you place the cut off bottle without a cap over the coral? how do you get the food into the bottle, turkey baster? does the bottle stay in place or do you have to hold it?

michika
01-12-2005, 12:53 AM
I put the bottle over the coral, unscew the lid then with one hand use an eyedropper to fill the bottle and quickly put the lid on. Then I just let it sit for a little while and remove the bottle later. The bottle stays put because my sun coral is in my substraite.

mr_alberta
01-12-2005, 02:27 AM
You could try drilling a hole in the bottle cap and running a vinyl tube out of it. That way you just have to pump food into the vinyl tube.

michika
01-12-2005, 02:29 AM
I've considered that but I run the risk of disturbing the sand and having it cover my coral.

I need to find a better place for the coral itself, but one that isn't very light intensive at the same time.