PDA

View Full Version : blue fan

Snappy
01-11-2005, 03:38 PM
I have a blue fan that is not doing so well. If there is anybody that wants to take it please p/m me so arrange for pick-up and it is yours for the taking (free). I would rather it go to a good home than die in my tank. I'm not sure if it can be saved as it has lost at least 1/2 of the blue coral and is starting to look like a tree branch.
Greg

danny zubot
01-11-2005, 09:38 PM
I'd be happy to try caring for it if nobody else more experienced wants it. I know they are difficult and have to be fed regularily. How big is it?

Snappy
01-12-2005, 12:53 AM
It's about 8 inches tall and wide. If you want it you should make it quick. Poor thing didn't look too good when I got home from work.

Snappy
01-12-2005, 04:48 AM
good luck Danny, I hope you have better luck with it than me.

danny zubot
01-14-2005, 03:12 PM
I picked up the blue fan the other day and it is in poor shape right now. There are only a few blue tissue spots left on it. I figured I'd give it a shot and see what happens. Greg was told by Danny at Wai'd that the blue tissues will grow back in time and I was just wondering if this is true? Anyone have experience with sea fans?

(can this thread be moved to the reef forum?)

Delphinus
01-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Sure, I can move it for you.

I don't have any experience with sea fans, other than that for the photosynthetic gorgonians, I think they require rather copious amounts of phytoplankton to feed, otherwise they starve. As to this specific species, I'm afraid I don't even know what it is, so I have no idea what category it would fit into.

About what you were told though, my experience with things that are dead, is that they tend to stay dead, no matter how hard I wish for otherwise.

Willow
01-14-2005, 04:47 PM
About what you were told though, my experience with things that are dead, is that they tend to stay dead, no matter how hard I wish for otherwise.

for some reason i can't get the princess bride out of my head.

danny zubot
01-14-2005, 05:10 PM
This is what I found but its pretty general. It mensions sheading which gives me hope but I'm not holding my breath.

http://www.masla.com/coral/seafancare.html

AJ_77
01-14-2005, 09:46 PM

for some reason i can't get the princess bride out of my head.
ha-ha!
:mrgreen:
maybe it's "mostly dead."

Delphinus
01-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Well, I guess if your sea fan is saying "Troooooob bllooooooooob" then don't give up on it. :lol:

Snappy
01-15-2005, 07:29 AM
Danny,
Unfortunately the picture wouldn't copy but here is a little info on that fan.

Bali Blue Sea Fan
(Acalycigorgia sp.)

Stats
Care Level: Moderate
Lighting Requirements: Low to Moderate
Water Flow: Moderate to High
Aggressiveness: Peaceful
Range: Bali
Family: Acanthogorgiidae
Water Conditions: 74-80° F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12

Notes: The Bali Blue Sea Fan grows in beautiful tree-like formations like underwater bonsai. Its branches are rusty colored and covered with beautiful blue polyps.

Underwater epoxy is useful in attaching the sea fan securely in your reef aquarium. Place it in an upright position in the bottom two-thirds of the aquarium. Although it does not require bright lighting it can be kept under bright lights providing algae does not begin to grow on it. Placing it so moderate to high currents will be able to supply it with necessary nutrients and trace elements will also help deter algae from growing on it.

Since this sea fan is not photosynthetic, it relies on additions of trace elements, marine snow, phytoplankton, and food for filter feeders to maintain proper health.

danny zubot
01-17-2005, 04:16 PM
It has shown a few blue polyps over the weekend but the rest is covered with cyano. If there is no noticable change by today I will have to get rid of it. After doing some research on these I think I might try one in the future.