PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Placement

PeterW
01-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Hi,

Need some advice on where to place my green hammer. Doesn't seem to be extending it polyps.

I have it about mid way in my tank (about 1 feet from the top). I have 4x65watt power compacts which is raised about 4 inches from the top of my tank.

The hammer is currently sitting in the middle of the tank and I have one power head and a sump return providing water flow from the left corner.

I've moved it closer to the powerhead, hoping that the increased waterflow would be good. Heightwise in the tank, it is still middle of the tanks.

Where have other people successfully put their hammer? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Peter

vanreefer
01-11-2005, 08:19 AM
how long has it been in your tank.. what are your water parameters... I have mine roughly where you described yours is. I found mine to be very sensative to water quality SG and nitrate specifically

marie
01-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Peter, is the hammer in with the sick toadstool from the other thread? Some soft corals use chemical warfare (allelopathy) and some lps corals have a low tolerance to that and will not extend , even start to recede. Do you have any carbon in the tank? That is supposed to help remove toxins

Rikko
01-11-2005, 11:18 PM
I've also read that Euphyllia sp. corals are especially sensitive to the exudations from some leather corals.

Tangman
01-12-2005, 03:01 AM
Hammers don't like too much flow . Check out coral discription on J&L Aquatics website.

Rikko
01-12-2005, 06:32 AM
I've noticed the same, but Aquarium Corals says that under too much flow they'll produce sweepers at night. I have mine getting hit by my surge but haven't noticed any sweepers whatsoever (mind you I've only had it a couple months). The extension isn't as great as I've seen with some ancora, but then again a gaping clam isn't "better" either.

PeterW
01-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Thanks everyone for our advice. It does seem to be doing in its new spot.

I am addressing the nitrate level. Plan to buy more snails and crabs from J&L. They have a great sale going on. Hopefully, they'll get stock soon.

What is SG level? Haven't been doing water testing? How regularly should this been done?

Moved the toadstool lower in the tank, too. It was previously right next to the hammer. This may be causing problems. Seems my pearl bubble have fuller polyps after the toadstool was moved, too.

Will try some carbon. Can I safely mix carbon with phospate sponge?

Peter