PDA

View Full Version : red algae

Snappy
01-10-2005, 03:38 PM
I am not sure what I am doing wrong but my sand bed keeps growing a thick red algae blanket. It grows, lifts and then grows back at an amazing rate. My algae eating livestock(yellow tang, Sailfin Blennie, hermit crabs, snails, urchins, ect.) don't seem to want to eat it.
Any suggestions?
Greg

G1GY
01-10-2005, 04:38 PM
I had the same problem in my 90. I put two Zebra conches in and my sand has never been so white! :biggrin:

Gold Aquariums has some in right now(I think).

monza
01-10-2005, 04:44 PM
With out knowing any of your specs here are some general tips.
Reduce yout bio load (less feeding), more water movement, less time with your light on, water changes with RO/DI water.
Hope that helps.
Dave

Cap'n
01-10-2005, 06:18 PM
I had the same thing for quite some time. I adjusted my water flow to get rid of dead spots and cut back on the feeding. Don't see it any more.

Snappy
01-11-2005, 12:32 AM
I think I have a pretty good flow but maybe I should cut back on the feeding. I like that conch idea too. I'll try your suggestions.
Thanks,
Greg

Tarolisol
01-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Sounds like cyano to me not sure how to get rid of it though besides constant siphoning.

Delphinus
01-11-2005, 05:20 AM
Well, if you get really desperate, there's Red Slime Remover, but you have to remember it's treating the symptoms, and not the cause. Without addressing the cause, it will come back, sooner or later.

In a nutshell, it's a nutrient load issue. Although it's not uncommon in new tanks say around the 6 month mark. Remember that for the first year there's all kinds of spikes and cycles (not just the ammonia cycle), before anything somewhat resembling a stable equilibrium is attained. But getting back to the nutrient load, basically, managing import vs. export. E.g., feeding, skimmers, water changes, or macro algae harvesting, and so on.

PS. Sean is right, cyanobacteria. If you search here and on RC you will find heaps of pages of information. Good luck!

danny zubot
01-11-2005, 02:22 PM
I can vouch for Red slime remover, its a bit pricey so only use as a last resort. I think those zebra conches might be a better investment though, where can I get one?

Delphinus
01-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Gold Aquariums had some conches when I was there on Friday. Whether they were "zebra" or something else, I have no idea .. I can't tell them apart.

andestang
01-11-2005, 05:12 PM
As Tony & Sean say and as for a product to try use Chemi-Clean (Boyd Interprises) works within 2 days.

impreza
01-11-2005, 11:47 PM
I can vouch for chemiclean! works like a gem, i think Wai's stocks it. I bought it off mops.ca and even with shipping, I think it ended up being cheaper!

G1GY
01-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Why add a chemical?

Just put in the Zebra conches. They'll clean up the sandbed in a few days.

If you don't get any, I'll pimp mine out to you! :lol:

*EDIT*

And BTW if the conches just stay to one end of the tank, just pick them up and put them where you need the work done. I done this and had the sand clean in no time. :smile:

Snappy
01-12-2005, 01:04 AM
I picked up a couple of conches at Gold's today. If there is no change by next week I'll get the chemicals.
Thanks for all the input folks.
Greg

KaYaKRoB
01-12-2005, 01:07 AM
I had that and tho only thing that worked was chemi clean, didnt harm anythign else at all worked great. I have hear on a long post on reefcentral, that cyano is actualy cyanobacteria, and it is not an algae ut a bacteria, and thats why other animals wont touch it , because it is bad for them, i might be wrong but thats what i've read numerous times. also wei's has chemi clean.

G1GY
01-12-2005, 01:12 AM
I picked up a couple of conches at Gold's today. If there is no change by next week I'll get the chemicals.
Thanks for all the input folks.
Greg

You should see them working on it already tonight. If they can't get it all, let me know and you can borrow mine for a few days to help them.

Snappy
01-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Between the conches and chemi-clean the pesky cyano is pretty much in check.
Thanks all,
Greg

Bob I
01-15-2005, 08:34 PM
I don't agree with Tony here. I don't think it is a nutrient problem per se, but yes it is caused by a condition in a new tank that makes it favorable for Cyano growth. IME every new tank will get it at some time or another. It is very annoying and Conches, or if unavailable Chemiclean will get rid of it. However, eventually tank conditions will not support its growth, and you will never see it again. I know I have not seen any in my tanks for a couple of years. :biggrin:

Delphinus
01-17-2005, 04:47 PM
You disagree that a nutrient import/export imbalance can cause favourable conditions for cyanobacteria to gain a foothold? Please share your references to back this claim up.

PS. I think you may have missed:

Although it's not uncommon in new tanks

I disagree that you will "never" see cyanobacteria if you don't manage your nutrient imports/exports. But whatever.

Bob I
01-18-2005, 04:07 PM
I disagree that you will "never" see cyanobacteria if you don't manage your nutrient imports/exports. But whatever.

I see nothing wrong with disagreement :cool: The problem is that it too easy to point a finger at what is esentially an unknown. Cyanobacter is one of the oldest organisms on this planet. For that reason it appears to find it easy to live in many situations.

It has been myexperience that it does very well in new tanks. In my experience, once it is gone, it does not seem to return unless a completely new tank is set up.

The only recurring factor in MY situation is the fact that I use Chemipure religiously. I do no other nutrient export. I honestly don't know if that is a contributing factor. Nor do I claim that it is. :eek:

The only other factor has been time. After some time has passed Cyano just does not reappear, in my particular case anyway.

Delphinus
01-18-2005, 06:14 PM
I see nothing wrong with disagreementI certainly agree ... that you are disagreeable :razz:

But you are mistaken my friend, trust me: cyanobacteria can reappear...

Perhaps your use of Chemipure is indeed an important variable. However without knowing what Chemipure really does, I can't speculate as to why.

Canadian Man
01-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Yes it does reappear. I have some myself right now in the dead spots in my main tank and in my refugium.

G1GY
01-18-2005, 11:27 PM
The only recurring factor in MY situation is the fact that I use Chemipure religiously. I do no other nutrient export. I honestly don't know if that is a contributing factor. Nor do I claim that it is. :eek:

The only other factor has been time. After some time has passed Cyano just does not reappear, in my particular case anyway.

If you use Chemipure religiously, does that mean you pray while putting it in the cannister? :smile:

Maybe your water quality is not good enough for the cyano to survive. :biggrin:

Just kidding Bob! I couldn't stop myself. :lol:

Gary, I edited your post. It looked like I was being quoted when it was Bob, so I fixed the citation. Hope you don't mind. -Tony

Bob I
01-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Maybe your water quality is not good enough for the cyano to survive. :biggrin:

Wouldn't that be great :question: Everything doing great, but no Cyano. Wow minimalism is in after all. :razz: :multi: :BIG: