PDA

View Full Version : A Homemade Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Additive System

Chin_Lee
01-09-2005, 06:18 AM
Is there anybody using this homemade solution as written by RANDY HOLMES-FARLEY?
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

I have a 50 lb bag of the DowFlake 77-80% Calcium Chloride in my garage right now and would like to use it if possible.
Anybody with any personal experience with the homemade solution?
Or is there any input from the more experienced?

BrainVat
01-09-2005, 06:22 AM
I haven't used it, but many do and it works quite well. Calcium chloride is exactly the same stuff you find in many two-part additives.

Out of curiosity, where did you get the DowFlake? I use limewater right now and I'd like to be able to add more calcium without affecting my pH.

Chin_Lee
01-09-2005, 06:28 AM
i got it from a Pool and spa place in Surrey. Coast Pool & Spa on Fraser Hwy just east of 160th street in Surrey. it was about 25 bucks for 50 lb bag (if i recall correctly) check at your local pool & spa place. some hardware places will sell it as ice melter for sidewalks.... good time to go take a look or shortly after the snow fall stops.
cwlee

Bryan
01-09-2005, 06:43 AM
I use the two part and it works great. I use it to supplement my calcium reactor. I didn't bother with the Dow flake but use Kent turbo calcium. Costs more but it more readily available.

Chin_Lee
01-09-2005, 04:36 PM
I use the two part and it works great. I use it to supplement my calcium reactor. I didn't bother with the Dow flake but use Kent turbo calcium. Costs more but it more readily available.
Bryan
thanks for your input.
If you ever want me to pick you up a bag, let me know... i only live 5 minutes away from that pool n spa place. Looking at the price comparison, its only 25 bucks for 22.5 kg as oppose to 22 bucks for 800 grams at JL's; thats a siginificant price difference regardless how inconvenient. You will be paying for 28 canisters of 800 gram Kent Turbo ($621.50 plus taxes) for one bag of Dow Flake ($25 plus tax)

Bryan
01-12-2005, 06:28 AM
Thanks, but a 500g container of Kent even though expensive it lasts me a long long time. I only use the two part when I do large water changes to bring up the cal/alk to my desired levels. My calcium reactor generally keeps things in check.

danny zubot
01-12-2005, 05:36 PM
I use the 6:1 ratio of washing to baking sodas regularly to raise ALK in my tank. Since using it my corals have definately grown faster and healthier.

trilinearmipmap
01-12-2005, 05:55 PM
I have been doing 2-part supplements occasionally in additon to a kalk auto-topoff.

So far I used a commercial (aquarium brand) Calcium chloride but now I found CaCl2 online at Canadian tire sold as an ice melt, I will try to get some.

Delphinus
01-12-2005, 06:13 PM
I use the 6:1 ratio of washing to baking sodas regularly to raise ALK in my tank. Since using it my corals have definately grown faster and healthier.

Danny what do you use for washing soda? Everytime I look at a package of Arm & Hammer, it has this zesty lemony scent which I'm sure is some kind of additive. Or do you do the "make your own" trick by baking some baking soda in the oven?

StirCrazy
01-13-2005, 12:15 AM

Danny what do you use for washing soda? Everytime I look at a package of Arm & Hammer, it has this zesty lemony scent which I'm sure is some kind of additive. Or do you do the "make your own" trick by baking some baking soda in the oven?

super store here has some 99.8% pure washing soda.

Steve

Delphinus
01-13-2005, 04:03 PM

I don't really need to know though since I have no intention of using it (hooray calcium reactor), but I'm curious nonetheless: Is it Arm & Hammer? Is the package different from the "usual" A&H? Is it scentless?

StirCrazy
01-13-2005, 11:13 PM

I don't really need to know though since I have no intention of using it (hooray calcium reactor), but I'm curious nonetheless: Is it Arm & Hammer? Is the package different from the "usual" A&H? Is it scentless?

I'll check on that for ya in the next few days. but I coulden't find anything to sugest it was sented.

Steve

Jack
01-13-2005, 11:26 PM
Yep, Steve is right. Superstore carries the washing soda. It's labled under Arm&Hammer and you can find it in the detergent section. It's in a box simmilarly sized to a small box of cereal.

HTH

Delphinus
01-14-2005, 12:27 AM
I'll check on that for ya in the next few days. but I coulden't find anything to sugest it was sented.

The package didn't say anything. It just had a zesty scent to it. If I sniffed it, I could smell something ... a little bit sweet. Everyone I asked about the stuff they used swore it had no scent. So I said, forget it. Maybe it's just I could smell something where others couldn't ... but there were others (Canreefers) who could have sworn it also had a scent. AJ_77? Canadian Man? Tau2301 (who hasn't been here in ages anymore) ... I could have sworn I wasn't alone on this one.

Never mind .. maybe it's a non issue. Well actually it is an nonissue because I don't have any need to use washing soda. :mrgreen:

Jack
01-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Tony, to me it has a bit of a wierd scent too but I don't think it's an additive. I belive the produce is pure.

Aquattro
01-14-2005, 12:55 AM
I think the stuff has a surfactant added which will give you more foam in your tank than you could imagine.

StirCrazy
01-14-2005, 01:38 AM
I think the stuff has a surfactant added which will give you more foam in your tank than you could imagine.

It doesent say anything but "Pure washing soda" and 99.8% pure calcium what ever.

Steve

Aquattro
01-14-2005, 02:28 AM
That's what the stuff I used said. It put a few inches of foam in my sump!!

StirCrazy
01-14-2005, 04:54 AM
That's what the stuff I used said. It put a few inches of foam in my sump!!

shoulda put it in yer darn skimmer :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Steve

trilinearmipmap
01-14-2005, 04:59 AM
This was discussed on RC and it was suggested that baking soda, being for human consumption, has its ingredients listed and must comply with standards for purity, while washing soda does not. Therefore baked baking soda was recommended instead of store-bought washing soda.