PDA

View Full Version : Bulb longevity: power compact, NO, VHO.

BrainVat
01-09-2005, 05:47 AM
How long can I expect each of the following bulbs to last? I am buying from hellolights.com.

96W PC Actinic 36"
40W NO T12 Actinic 48"
110W VHO T12 Actinic 48"

Are any of these lights UV shielded? I would prefer that they are not.

StirCrazy
01-09-2005, 05:51 AM
How long can I expect each of the following bulbs to last? I am buying from hellolights.com.

96W PC Actinic 36"
40W NO T12 Actinic 48"
110W VHO T12 Actinic 48"

Are any of these lights UV shielded? I would prefer that they are not.

no UV output from them to worry about so no shielding.

Ok sense you are using them for actinic lighting only I would say change them every two years or when they burn out. No all the pet stores are going to be screaming murder at me right not but sense you are using them for "Color" the out put isn't important. I have been running on VHO for almost 3 years and the other for 1 year (one broke).

Oh one question, how are you buying them from hello lights when they do not ship to Canada?

Steve

BrainVat
01-09-2005, 06:18 AM
I was just using their web site for a price reference. Sounds like I won't be buying from them after all.

Samw
01-09-2005, 07:51 AM
I've got a 36" VHO Actinic bulb that's barely used that I'm looking to sell.

Oops, I guess you are looking for PC.

Rikko
01-09-2005, 08:18 AM
I guess technically *all* fluorescent bulbs are UV shielded. If the bulb is firing and there's no light coming out, that means there's no coating inside and it's pure UV coming off it. Er. Don't look at it. Just run away.

Obviously the NO T12 will outlive the VHO (unless perhaps if you're lucky and keep the VHO very well cooled), and I'd except it would outlast the PC as well. PC bulbs are one type that I regard as failing physically rather than just sputtering out. I guess they're just a little more sensitive. Lifespan? PC probably a couple years on average. VHO might stick it out for five years or so. That NO will probably do well by you for a good 20 years. :D

I don't like buying expensive bulbs all the time, so I tend to only replace them when I either notice a difference in their light output (compared to an identical one), they completely die, or I see too much corrosion on the metal areas for comfort.

BrainVat
01-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Thanks for detailed replies everyone.

Rikko, I have heard reports of PC/VHO fading after less than a year. Have you ever experienced this?

StirCrazy
01-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Thanks for detailed replies everyone.

Rikko, I have heard reports of PC/VHO fading after less than a year. Have you ever experienced this?

they all fade, it is part of there life span but like i stated if you are not using it for primary light you will never notice it.

the problem with PC's is when they get older the draw more current, it has been reported than in some cases up to 5X more current.

you can also run Phillips 03 no bulbs at VHO levels for about a year.

Steve

dirtyreefer
01-09-2005, 06:35 PM
For actinics, you are most likely only supplementing to improve the appearance of your tank, not because you are trying to increase the total output of your lights.

Usually if you have a "yellower" MH (e.g. 6500K), alot of people don't like that yellow appearance so they add actinic to balance out the appearance.

BrainVat
01-09-2005, 07:18 PM
For actinics, you are most likely only supplementing to improve the appearance of your tank, not because you are trying to increase the total output of your lights.

The corals that I keep are moderate to deep brain-shapes. They live at moderate depths and don't require a lot of light. The type of light that reaches their natural habitat (at 25-30 metres) is fairly low-wavelength light and is not very intense.

Given these natural settings, actinic light seems to be the best choice of light for replicating their natural environment.

Bob I
01-16-2005, 02:10 AM
I have done some testing on some PC tubes. They are mainly Coralife tubes. As an example the 96W lost half of its output in LUX in six months. Today I have tested some 65W 50/50 tubes by Coralife. The two I tested were about one year old. They were both down to 2000 LUX, so virtually useless. I also tested a GE 9325W tube, which was also old. It tested at 4000Lux, so it was quite a bit better. I also tested a 24" Helios T5 tube which was only a couple of months old. It came out at 1200LUX, which made it not worth considering as a primary light source. Although this testing was not exact, it still shows a trend. :mrgreen:

Murminator
01-16-2005, 04:03 AM
As an example the 96W lost half of its output in LUX in six months. Today I have tested some 65W 50/50 tubes by Coralife. The two I tested were about one year old. They were both down to 2000 LUX I also tested a GE 9325W tube, It tested at 4000Lux I also tested a 24" Helios T5 tube It came out at 1200LUX

So Bob what would the Lux ratings be when the are new :question:
96w
65w
GE
T5

Bob I
01-16-2005, 04:28 PM
That is a fair question :rolleyes: , but can only partly be answered. For the 96W it is immaterial :eek: , it lost half of its original output in six months (I don't remember the numbers).

I have just measued an almost new 65W CSL Smartlamp. It measures a little under 5000 LUX.

Brand new 10000/6700K Sunpaq measures just over 5000 LUX

I have no new T5, or GE 9325 tubes, so I cannot measure them. :sad:

I did just add the old Actinic Coralife to the old 10000K, and only got 3000 LUX :sad:

I then added the old GE to the old Coralife, and got more than 4000 LUX :eek:

I can tell you that visually the other 65W tubes looked great when new, but are very dull after one year :mrgreen:

Bob I
01-16-2005, 06:38 PM
the problem with PC's is when they get older the draw more current, it has been reported than in some cases up to 5X more current.

Do you have the source for that? I have a serious problem with that. 5X the current would mean 5X the wattage, which would give off 5X the heat. That should give you some melted canopies. I have not seen any reports like that. :rolleyes:

StirCrazy
01-16-2005, 10:48 PM
well ya the power consumption goes it. I have read it on 2 or 3 sites that manufacture PC's and they say to change them frequently because of this. also there have been a couple posts on this problem and exactly like you said a couple melted canopies. this was all about a year or two back, I believe it was on RC, I'll see if I can find them again.

Steve