PDA

View Full Version : I think I've been ripped off

gboots
10-29-2001, 10:22 AM
Hello everyone,

Its ok to laugh @ me, beacause I am laughing @ myself. Being extemly new to SW and especially reef keeping, I think I got ripped off. I paid 24.99 for a bos of "Reef Crystals" salt, it was only a 25gl mix! images/smiles/icon_sad.gif I was told this was the best salt and Instant ocean was not nearly as good for a reef aquarium.

From reading the posts about Kent products it sounds like most people are using Kent or instant ocean salt. f these two products are fine for reef aquariums please let me know.

terryp01
10-29-2001, 10:27 AM
I used Instant Ocean for several years and have switched to Kent. As far as the best, that is always open for depate.

I think the price you paid is high but you probably also bought from your LFS. In Texas, I can get 200 gallons of IO or Kent for about 60.00 US.

Reefmaster
10-29-2001, 03:51 PM
glen i switched to kent a couple years ago. if i had to pay local prices for salt for our 135 i would go bankrupt.
there are quite a number of vic reefers who order j&l stuff who could pool with you - for example, we can have 200g buckets of salt over here for $10/per in shipping if we order a couple at a time. works out WAY cheaper than local. shane

Aquattro
10-29-2001, 11:00 PM
Even ordering just a single bucket still works out cheaper. I think I paid about $20 for shipping and there was a box of stuff in addition to the bucket. BTW, I'm in the process of switching to Kent from IO. Both are great salts.

Silverfish
10-29-2001, 11:30 PM
I use IO and I bought a 200g bucket from J&l when I was over there(saved on the shipping) but it is still cheaper to get it shipped from J&L. I saw IO 200g bucket for sale in Vernon this summer and they were asking $150.00! Even still it is $90.00 in Vic for a 200g bucket. The thing is, I got the 200g in June and there is less than half left... thinking of saving the $10.00 and going for the Kent next time..or less water changes! images/smiles/icon_wink.gif