PDA

View Full Version : pet hair?

michika
01-06-2005, 10:55 PM
I'm having a problem keeping various pet hairs out of my tank (dog, rabbits, man), any suggestions on how I can help lessen the amount of hair that makes its way into my tank?

Right now I run a standard canopy with one cutout in the back, when that canopy is off (for my MH) I have a glass lid with a single cutout as well that sits on the top of the tank.

Getting sick of watching black and white hair peices float through my tank...

Willow
01-06-2005, 11:02 PM
have you tried vacuuming your house on a regular basis? not to be funny as i had 5 dogs until recently but i had to vacuum daily to keep the hair under control. also try a portable room vent/filter thingy, those things that you plug a carbon filter and run in the corner for allergies. they work pulling all kinds of crap outa the air.

michika
01-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Vaccum every other day, brush dog twice a day....

I run a humidifyer in the room which I find helps keep alot of the stray hair out of the tank. Where would I go to find something like what you suggested?

Murminator
01-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Keep your hands out :biggrin:

StirCrazy
01-06-2005, 11:26 PM
are you really attached to the dog? I know if I was getting sick of dog hair in the tank and having to vacuum every 2nd day what I would do. :mrgreen:

Steve

michika
01-06-2005, 11:27 PM
:P

I try to never put my hands in and I find trying to catch the animal hair is hard to do with a net because of my set-up.

I'm tempted to shave my dog and boyfriend its that bad...

hmmm do dalmations have spots under their hair?

Your not a dog person are you StirCrazy?

I could never give up my dog, she's a two-time shelter dog with the sweetest personality. Couldn't even consider parting with her. For those that will meet her at the meet in February they'll understand. She's like a house-broken baby!

Bartman
01-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Actually, Dalmations do have spots under their fur. :mrgreen:

michika
01-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Cool.

I know she has spots on her foot-pads, her gums, and her nails. I always wondered if her skin did too.

Thanks!

Scavenger
01-07-2005, 12:08 AM
I can sympathize with you on this one. My wife has a very fur ball cat that used to climb up into my canopy at night (to keep warm I guess, cause it sure wasn't fishing) and sleep on my light runners. I thought I was the only reefer who's reef hacked out fur balls. Long story short, my nightly ritual is to kick cat from fish room and close door. I always know in the morning if I forget, hack hack hack splat!

michika
01-07-2005, 12:12 AM
LOL,

I don't have a fish room yet, so just opening the front door sometimes makes hair that is on the stairs fly into the air, some of it floats into my main tank.

Glad your cat isn't fishing. I get nose prints on my nano in my bedroom from the dog, she likes to watch my clowns play in the current!

magikof7
01-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Hi all,

I am going to have this dillema myself and I was wondering about cheese cloth or screen? (plastic of course)

michika
01-07-2005, 01:25 AM
I tried to put pantyhose over the cutout opening, but I ended up with a salt encrusted peice of panty hose. I also had a problem with the salt in combination wtih the panty hose giving off a semi-burning smell when my MH is on.

StirCrazy
01-07-2005, 01:50 AM
Your not a dog person are you StirCrazy?

I like dogs, especially when they are somewhere else :mrgreen: just kidding I don't feel I have enuf room for a dog so I won't have one. I do have a cat though and I never have a problem with its hair. But I do have a older daughter and I am finding hair all over the house from that pet but the wife won't let me put her down :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Steve

Willow
01-07-2005, 05:10 AM
Vaccum every other day, brush dog twice a day....

I run a humidifyer in the room which I find helps keep alot of the stray hair out of the tank. Where would I go to find something like what you suggested?

i think i bought it at target. dalmation hair is a problem, it is really pointy and sticks into everything, vacuuming doesn’t really help. my friend has 2 of them and she’s ripping her hair out over them. great dogs but too much energy and hair.

michika
01-07-2005, 06:33 AM
Its not bad all the time, but sometimes its especially horrible, you can pull clumps from my dog. Its only a problem when her skin gets irritated and then she sheds, millions of hairs EVERYWHERE!

I'm going to start looking around for one tomorrow when I get paid! Thanks for the suggestion I just hope it helps!

Willow
01-07-2005, 03:43 PM
keep in mind that it will only pull stuff out of the air if it's actually airbourn. so if it's stuck in the carpet it's staying there.

i dunno if you have ever considered it but ive pulled most of the carpet out of the house and replace it with tile and hardweed. its great as now you can just sweep up what you see daily, it's way better!

AJ_77
01-07-2005, 06:01 PM
ive pulled most of the carpet out of the house and replace it with tile and hardweed.

what is hardweed, some sort of hemp flooring? :biggrin:

(sorry - couldn't help myself...)

Willow
01-07-2005, 06:32 PM
oops.. hehe, umm yeah that should be hardwood.