PDA

View Full Version : it snowed!

smokinreefer
01-06-2005, 03:00 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/smokinreefer/jan05snow.jpg

not a whole lot of snow, but i am sick... and i am bored, and i am already awake at 8am...so its exciting for me!

unfortunatley my better half says i am not allowed to play with my dogs in the snow because of this darned fever i have.

mind you theres not much snow to play with, as it barely covers the ground.

anyhoo... hope the rest of your day is not as boring as mine!

smokinreefer
01-06-2005, 04:15 PM
just thought you'd like to know... it's still snowing!

and i'm having banana bread oatmeal for breakfast.

smokinreefer
01-06-2005, 04:22 PM
ahahhahahhaha. i dont know if you can tell from the pic, but i am on a slight incline...

and the canada post guy kept trying to get up the hill in his rear wheel drive van...

he'd drive up a few house spinning his tires, reverse back then try again...
hahahaha, he finally made it.

it is snowing heavily now, small flakes though. :mrgreen:

Old Guy
01-06-2005, 04:22 PM
I actually drove in this morning. Got to a hill, seen a line-up, turned around and now I'm home being bored reading about how your bored :lol: .

Bob I
01-06-2005, 04:25 PM
You guys should come to Calgary. You could play in the snow to your heart's desire, and enjoy -20 degree temperatures too. :razz:

smokinreefer
01-06-2005, 04:33 PM
thanks for the invite Bob, but i dont think so!

Jeff, i'd say we should hook up, but i'm sick. and i dont have a ride, well i do but my wife says its too embarrasing to drive! hahahha

anybody a mechanic and want a fixer upper?

its a 1990 toyota tercel that should be in way bette rshape than it is... this car has been very neglected. it has atleast 200k on it... has a oil leak, and has not passed aircare. insurance is up in a few months and i was hoping to get rid of it somehow then.

apparently (just a guess) the straight pipe on the exhaust might have broken off or something. all i know is my wife said that it is super loud when she gasses it and it makes the seat vibrate! hahahah.

so i had some people over new years eve, so i decide to move the car to make more room for parking, well i tell ya, i moved it a few feet and that thing is HELLA LOUD!

so what do i do with this thing now? i suppose the autowrecker/junkyard will give me some dough for it?

Willow
01-06-2005, 05:02 PM
dang you should see richmond.. there is no way i would go out in that today with our drivers :eek:

Doug
01-06-2005, 05:07 PM
He,he, you guys call that snow. :lol:

G1GY
01-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Way too funny! :lol:

Our over night frost can be heavier than your snowfall! :lol:

Invigor
01-06-2005, 06:18 PM
heh, we had a snowstorm that made small cars disappear, then it went down to -47 or something... :(

now it's nice and normal around -25

smokinreefer
01-06-2005, 06:41 PM
well, guess what? it's still snowing.

richmond, yah... my wife had to drive there to work...
she called me from brentwood... which would normally take just over 5min to get to... i took her 25 today... she said traffic was just backed up from here till tomorrow!

mr_alberta
01-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Yikes! Look at all that snow! Did they have to cancel all flights at Vancouver International Airport? :mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-06-2005, 06:51 PM
As the radio announcer said yesterday, 3-5 cm of snow in the Lower Mainland is like 3-5 feet of snow to the rest of Canada. Most of these LM drivers don't know how to drive in even 1 cm of snow. Heck, I've seen them forget how to drive in rain, if it hasn't rained in a month or so & that's in Vancouver where it might rain for half the year (it seems). Yeesh.
Luckily I'm a tutor so I don't have to go out today unless my students don't cancel. I also have a CR-V & am used to driving in snow & bad weather (knock on wood); although, I'll be the first to admit that a Honda CR-V is not the snow beast my old 4-Runner with 31" BFG All-Terrains was. Gave the beast :cry: to my little bro (Big Bro program) in Winterpeg.

How about a reef-tour guys & gals (JK).

Anthony

Hope none of us get into an accident over the next few snowy days.

smokinreefer
01-06-2005, 06:51 PM
hahahhaha!

personally i like the snow... i like driving in it too...

only problem is, just about the rest of the GVRD doesnt!

which makes it not so fun for me anymore...

anyhoo... i wish it would get really deep so i could run around, or try to run around in it with my doggies! that would be loads of fun. but then i guess i would get even more sick.

man i am bored...

Buccaneer
01-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Well most of you guys on the coast or close to it prolly dont have the right tires for snow ... some all season radials are a joke and do more harm than good by giving the driver a false sense of confidence ... in my car ( '95 325i ) I have to use winter tires or else I would not get out of the driveway :rolleyes: :lol:

Here in Calgary it has been snowing all day and my wife just came home to say that Deerfoot is a white-out with trucks pulled over on the side of the road due to reduced visibility

Tobaggoning anyone ?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Yeah, it's pretty sad. My sis-in-law already got into a rear-ender (she hit them) early this morning, even before the majority of the snow came down. Lower Mainlanders need to learn to slow down & keep adequate distances between vehicles :mad: , especially if they never bothered to winterize their cars.

Imagine if it were against the law to drive on snow days if you don't know how to do it or don't have snow tires. The streets around here would be empty :lol: with only people from other parts of BC & Canada allowed on the streets. Should be interesting to drive to my students' place later & see how many abandoned cars are out there. There's already a minivan almost blocking my back lane. Let's see now. If I push it back a little, it will block my lane & I don't have to go to work today. Hmmmm. :lol:

Anthony

Jason McK
01-06-2005, 10:48 PM
I'd just like to say I've been in Regina all Week with this -30 crap. and the snow better be gone when I get home :mad: :razz:

J

Willow
01-06-2005, 10:58 PM
ok i used to live in the yukon when i was a kid.. we bombed around in a 73 toyota corolla so it has nothing to do with what kind or car you drive, rather than whos driving it. funny i was just chatting with my dad the other night about how the schools wouldnt close until it the temp was lower than -40! damn that was cold period in my life.

Delphinus
01-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Here is a picture of what it looks like in Calgary right now

... Just pretty much all white.

StirCrazy
01-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Here is a picture of what it looks like in Calgary right now

... Just pretty much all white.

you suck, you know how long I was waiting for a pic to load hehe :mrgreen:

Steve

Delphinus
01-06-2005, 11:30 PM
The sad thing is that before the sun set, that is EXACTLY what it looked like outside when I looked out my window. :lol:

Scavenger
01-07-2005, 12:12 AM
"you suck, you know how long I was waiting for a pic to load hehe "

ROFLMAO??? How long did you wait for a pic to load?????

StirCrazy
01-07-2005, 01:56 AM
ROFLMAO??? How long did you wait for a pic to load?????

well I was reading my motorcycle forum also so I kept checking back for about 10 min until I said whats the heck is going on.

Steve

AndyL
01-07-2005, 02:53 AM
I remember reading this kal-tire newsletter thing (internal - probably shouldn't have been reading it) mentioned that more snow tires were sold in the greater vancouver area - than in the rest of canada... Gotta love you west coasters :)

Personally I figure the roads musta been bad today, my neighbours tried to squeeze me out of my parking spot (the alleys got a nice hill - then it's uphill into the parking spots). Ah well hope they enjoy their door dings :mrgreen:

Andy

BCWolfen
01-07-2005, 05:17 AM
Having grown up in Ontario I'm used to snow and driving in it. But I have to admit, when it snows on the coast here...even just a little, the roads get BAD. In the East when its snows, its already cold too, nice cold ground, much freezy-freezy the snow blows around, we got some slippery spots but all in all not bad until the storms hit. lol
But here even a little snow makes for bad roads. The nice warm ground melts the underlying snow, the fresh stuff stays on top. As soon as you try to brake, your tires create an awesome ice/slush strip underneath them and you can slide forever...WWEEEEE. Well not if theres cars in front of you.
So as much as I laugh and joke that they shut the city down as soon as someone spots A snowflake....I must admit that driving here in this crap can be real tricky.

Canadian Man
01-07-2005, 05:50 AM
Everyone is complaining about driving in this weather. Try Riding you bike to work in it. That's the Calgary snow I'm talking about not the west coast snow :razz:

Aquattro
01-07-2005, 06:04 AM
Everyone is complaining about driving in this weather. Try Riding you bike to work in it.

I'm hoping to not have to experience that thanks!!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Actually, when I went to tutor in Vancouver, the driving conditions on the main roads were very good & I think there were actually fewer accidents/traffic tie-ups than usual because so many West Coasters decided to stay home. Yeahhh!!! Usually it's bumper-to-bumper & rush hour sucks way more than normal, but I have to admit that people who didn't have to go out were smart enough to stay home & off the roads.

Only the side streets are bad & I live on a hill side so the best move is to go perpendicular to the slope & hit a major road. Unfortunately for some, I saw someone try to brave the slope & slide for over a block down the hill. :eek: Probably they'll have to go change into new underwear :lol:

Anybody else appreciate their anti-lock brakes but hate that stuttering "something-feels-wrong-with-my-car" sensation when it's actually activated?

Anthony

StirCrazy
01-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Everyone is complaining about driving in this weather. Try Riding you bike to work in it.

I'm hoping to not have to experience that thanks!!

guess what :mrgreen:

oh we still doing that stuff tomorrow?

Steve

Old Guy
01-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Well it is snowing again so therefore another day at home :mrgreen: .

Aquattro
01-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Crap. There's white stuff all over the place otside. I think it's this snow stuff you guys have been talking about. :rolleyes:

Doug
01-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Now here is some cold and snow. He,he.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/3001/8Winter.jpg

Ok, so the computer challenged moderator asks, "how come it did not work"? :confused:

AJ_77
01-07-2005, 03:00 PM

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/3001/8Winter.jpg

Looking goooood.

Aquattro
01-07-2005, 04:58 PM

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/3001/8Winter.jpg?6419

Ok, so the computer challenged moderator asks, "how come it did not work"? :confused:
Doug, you need to remove the ?6419 from the end of the path.

Doug
01-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Doug, you need to remove the ?6419 from the end of the path.

Ok, gotcha Brad. Thanks. Sometimes it worked with that.

Thanks for posting it AJ.

On a side note, I was hear you guys have a dandy snow coming. :eek:

Aquattro
01-07-2005, 05:15 PM

Dandy isn't a word I'd use to describe it. I had to leave the bike at home today, not happy with that.

Coldwater
01-07-2005, 05:24 PM
I have a VERY IMPORTANT thing to tell all of you! Don't try going down snow covered stairs on a overly waxed toboggan. I hit a tree with my friend. Hes fine but I am going to get a X-Ray on my wrist. :biggrin: . I think this is like my seventh time I have gone to get a X-Ray! Also this is just before we go to Maui on sunday! I hope to Airport isn't closed :rolleyes: .

Matt

Delphinus
01-07-2005, 05:36 PM
People from Parksville go to Maui for vacation????

See to me that's almost like hearing that people from Maui go for vacations on .... a different part of Maui. :lol:

Just kidding - I suppose what you call "winter" totally sucks for you too and you need to get away. :mrgreen: Have fun and remember to post your snorkeling or diving pictures!!!

Coldwater
01-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Dont worry I will. But I still question my photography skills! I can't wait to use my camera underwater. No more cheap Disposible underwater cameras. The snow might keep us here though :frown: .

Matt

AJ_77
01-07-2005, 06:06 PM
People in Parksville have toboggans?? :eek:

Even weirder that you get to use it! :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Yeah, but he only gets to use that toboggan only once every few years. Why do you think he crashed? Moray, were you part of that famous Jamaican bobsledding team? :lol:

Wheeeee. We get a snow day in the Lower Mainland. Got another few cm of that white stuff on the ground this morning. Neither of us have to work today, so my wife wants me to build her an igloo, if you can believe that, in BURNABY!!! :rolleyes: We'd need another 2 weeks of snow to do that, eh.

Anthony

Coldwater
01-07-2005, 07:22 PM
That was the first time in like two yaers that I have used it. Just got back from the X-ray place. They said I only had a sprained wrist. Back into the snow I go but this time without the stupid toboggan! Its still snowing here and we have like 3.5 cm's here. I am glad I don't live in a cold place that has a lot of snow. Now out to shovel the driveway :neutral: .

Matt[/img]

StirCrazy
01-07-2005, 11:56 PM

Dandy isn't a word I'd use to describe it. I had to leave the bike at home today, not happy with that.

you comming over after supper?

Steve

Murminator
01-08-2005, 12:23 AM
The worst part of the 1st pic is the leaves are still on the trees :eek: ........been long time since I seen a leaf.

Richmond airport call me today for 5/40 ton loads of airline deicer ASAP Calgary 1 and Edmonton 1 and when ever you can get it here LOL

christyf5
01-08-2005, 05:45 PM
We're up to 11 inches so far here in Nanaimo (still snowing) and the power was out for about 11 hours last night. I woke up at 8:30am and freaked out when I saw how long it had been out for. Everyone seems accounted for and thanks to the woodstove the temperature was at 79F when I woke up and put my battery powered airstone on.

Christy :)

EmilyB
01-08-2005, 10:10 PM
11 hours :eek: I don't know what would happen here if our power went out for that long.

I guess that's one time you were thankful for that hot room. :neutral:

christyf5
01-08-2005, 10:22 PM
11 hours :eek: I don't know what would happen here if our power went out for that long.

I guess that's one time you were thankful for that hot room. :neutral:

Indeed, it got up to 34C last night in the basement, I thought I was melting. At least it kept my tank happy.

Christy :)

AJ_77
01-09-2005, 12:39 AM
What is going ON out there?!? :eek:

Looked at the weather for later next week for you guys - highs of -8??? Lows of -13??? wtf???

(and here? low -38 and high -29 for Thursday...) :confused:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-09-2005, 05:34 AM
I guess it's official. We're having a Canadian winter :eek: (@ least by Van. Is/Lower Mainland standards). Look for ICBC rates to go up next year :mad: Main streets are still good & they've even cleared some of the side streets here in Burnaby.

StirCrazy
01-09-2005, 05:59 AM
What is going ON out there?!? :eek:

Looked at the weather for later next week for you guys - highs of -8??? Lows of -13??? wtf???

(and here? low -38 and high -29 for Thursday...) :confused:

are you smoking crack? Highs of 1 to 4 and lows of -1

http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?YWH

keep that minus 10 junk out there.. yer just trying to scare people arn't you :mrgreen:

Steve

AJ_77
01-09-2005, 06:04 AM
no, for Nanaimo --- smoking What?? :confused: when there's BC herb flooding the country?

quick, look before they change their forecast. :biggrin:
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cities/can/Pages/CABC0195.htm

StirCrazy
01-09-2005, 03:49 PM
no, for Nanaimo --- smoking What?? :confused: when there's BC herb flooding the country?

quick, look before they change their forecast. :biggrin:
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cities/can/Pages/CABC0195.htm

bah it will change 8 times befor next friday :mrgreen:

Steve