PDA

View Full Version : Question about jaw fish

kuatto
01-06-2005, 01:26 AM
After the 20 gal(20high) is all set up and ready to stock,I was thinking about getting a jawfish.I was ready that its best to put them in first to allow them to set up home before any other fish can bother them.The bottom will have a mix of fine sand,crush coral and small rubble.
Any thoughts on which jaw fish to choose?I was thinking on a yellow headed jaw fish.

Bob I
01-06-2005, 01:38 AM
I think you would enjoy that. Just be sure you have a mix of sizes, and be sure the substrate is deep enough. That is about all I know. I haven't seen a Jawfish for quite a while. :biggrin:

mr_alberta
01-06-2005, 01:40 AM
Jawfish do, however, require quite a deep sand bed (6" some say). They are really nice fish though. I've heard that you can also burry a tupperware container with a hole drilled in it so the jawfish can use that as a burrow.

Delphinus
01-06-2005, 01:41 AM
They're jumpers and easily stressed fish. To be honest I'm not real sure a 20g is all that good a setup for them. They need a deep substrate of coarse size (crushed coral) so that they have an ample supply to build, rebuild, and renovate their burrows. It's fabulous watching them work on a burrow, though. It's neat watching them get that one rock "just so" and then they decide "nope that's not right" then they go and reposition it again, and so on. If they get a big enough flat piece, they'll use it as a door, and "shut the lid" at night.

I think to keep them from being stressed they need to be able to see 360 degrees around their burrow entrance.

Delphinus
01-06-2005, 01:42 AM
PS. I agree with Harvey that 6" is about the minimum for the sandbed for them.

kuatto
01-06-2005, 02:00 AM
There will be a small amount of rock towards the back corners to leave as much viewing for him/her as possible and I have a canopy arriving this weekend.Six inches min?....hmmm :confused:

Bob I
01-06-2005, 02:36 AM
I don't know, but I would double check on the 6" sandbed. The fish is usually no more than 3". At least I have never seen any larger. However, I bow to the experts. :mrgreen:

kuatto
01-06-2005, 02:46 AM
What about 3-4" with a mound on top amounting to 6"?

Rikko
01-06-2005, 02:50 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but can anyone tell me what their compatibility with gobies, blennies, dragonets, etc are like?
I've got a bicolor blenny, yellow watchman goby w/ pistol buddy, firefish and one day when I have enough faith in my fuge I'd like to add a mandarin as well. I'd read the usual spiel in books and online about their jumping habits and sensitivity, but strangely I've never seen much mention about their compatibility with other fish.

mr_alberta
01-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Here's some good reading for you Jim:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/hcs3/index.htm

Ryan
01-09-2005, 03:30 AM
At the LFS we have found that if you place an empty Mayo jar over the fish until it has dug its burrow it slows the jumping. I would go for a yellowhead definatly a cool fish.

StirCrazy
01-09-2005, 04:04 AM
At the LFS we have found that if you place an empty Mayo jar over the fish until it has dug its burrow it slows the jumping. I would go for a yellowhead definatly a cool fish.

that sounds silly, you are cutting of new Oxygenated water all current ect.. so if you leave it to long the fish could deplete the O2 and die. :rolleyes:

Steve

michika
01-09-2005, 05:32 AM
Hey Jim I'll load you up with some info on a yellowhead if your coming to the meet whenever it is.

I've been researching since September and I"ll happily pass on what I've found.

kuatto
01-09-2005, 05:46 AM
:cool:
The 20 is starting to come togather(slowly but surely)Full of water,some rubble(getting more),maxi-jet 1200,light canopy.Still need a heater and a few other things.