PDA

View Full Version : PH Problems - any tips?

bluetang
01-05-2005, 05:52 PM
Hi guy and gals,
Ive recently set up a 125g tank in my front office at work. the tank has been up about 5 weeks now. I have almost got through my initial algea blooms but am having a problem with PH levels. they are low, at around 7.9 to 8.0 I cant seem to get it to rise. Ive been doing 20g water changes per week, but no change. I am also running a Calcium reactor on it with the efluent running at 6.9 I would have though that would stabilize it and bring it up :rolleyes:
Any tips, product thoughts, or comments?

thanks
Rob

StirCrazy
01-05-2005, 06:32 PM
7.9 to 8.0 is acceptable, mine ran at 7.8 for 2 years.

Steve

bluetang
01-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Would it have any effect on any sps corals I may add to the tank?

StirCrazy
01-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Would it have any effect on any sps corals I may add to the tank?

I never had a problem that way.

Steve

jess128
01-06-2005, 03:08 AM
Add some reef buffer. My tank was at 7.9 for a while and I wanted it at 8.2. The buffer got it up and is has stayed at 8.2 so far.

BrainVat
01-09-2005, 08:46 AM
You need to bring your carbonate alkalinity up.

Try adding ~6 tablespoons of baking soda.

If you are using a calcium reactor and your calcium levels are very high, you may see some precipitate when you add the baking soda.

If you're interested in maintaining stony corals, baking soda will probably become your first-line supplement for alkalinity. Corals need both calcium and carbonate to build their skeletons. You need to balance these adequately in order to maintain sps corals.

The water you add in each water change will probably at pH=7, and the water you remove will contain some of your alkalinity, which is buffering your pH at 8.33. It's fine if you want to do large, frequent water changes, but remember that you will have to replenish your alkalinity with small amounts of bicarbonate (baking soda).

There's a great article online about how to balance calcium and alkalinity that I think everyone should read if they plan to maintain stony corals, especially delicate ones.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Hope this helps.

StirCrazy
01-09-2005, 03:37 PM
The water you add in each water change will probably at pH=7, and the water you remove will contain some of your alkalinity, which is buffering your pH at 8.33. It's fine if you want to do large, frequent water changes, but remember that you will have to replenish your alkalinity with small amounts of bicarbonate (baking soda).

If the water I am adding in a water change is at 7 then I forgot to use salt :mrgreen: my normal water change water mixes to 8.2

a Ca reactor will also do a very good job of controlling PH/Alk/Ca once it is dialed in right as it is a total replacement setup.

Using baking soda is only a temporary PH change. and a week buffer at that as it is depleted very quickly in a high use tank. I recommend making a proper two part additive and using that in a tank where you don't have a Ca reactor or a kalk reactor, and in tanks that have theres only use it for infrequent adjustments.

Steve