nope

G1GY
01-05-2005, 07:45 AM
I think they kill too much good stuff.
Just my opinion though.

StirCrazy
01-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Are they realy needed for a reef tank?

no they are not needed but they are a good adition.

Steve

danny zubot
01-05-2005, 02:17 PM
I think this topic will never stop being a matter of opinion for most people. To kill or not to kill? That is the question. Some find that they benifit and maintain water quality, while others see no need for them and find alternative water quality solutions. I personally can find better ways to spend my money.

StirCrazy
01-05-2005, 05:52 PM
you are only going to kill microscopic pathogens and bacteria with a UV, pods and such are to large and complicated to be killed in the duration they are exposed to the UV in the setups we use.

Steve

snaggle
01-05-2005, 05:59 PM
so are they need/very good Idea in a multi tank set up. I am still confused on the idea of having one. I think they help but have never talked about it with any one yet.

Brad

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-05-2005, 06:18 PM
I have one (40w unit) on my 100g fish/softies tank & I plug it in for the first 2 weeks whenever I introduce a fish into the established community because that's when their stress level is highest & most vulnerable to ick & other pathogens.

By the way, I have a sponge pre-filter on the inflow & having the UV sterilizer on has never affected my pod or live mysis population, since they don't get sucked into the system to begin with.

JME,

Anthony

StirCrazy
01-05-2005, 06:34 PM
they are a Nice to have thing, you don't need one but they can help reduce single cell pathogens and algae in the water. If you have everything else and need to buy something then get one. if not concentrate on skimmer, ca reactor, kalk, ect first.

Steve

Willow
01-05-2005, 11:21 PM
if i had a big fish only system i would definatly add one, but not in a reef.

hockey nut
01-07-2005, 08:55 AM
The reason I ask is because I have one ( bought some time ago) and I am currently trying to finish building my setup for my new 120. I'm looking at what space I have and where in my setup to put/place it if I was to use the UV unit. It is one of those 9wt turbo twist units. I have my calcium reactor/ 2 x mak 4/ 940wt total lights/ sump and refugium under construction etc, bullet 2 skimmer etc etc. Still building canopy and reflector. Getting there, but still a ways to go yet. :rolleyes:

Sorry to ramble on . My question is do I need the uv unit. Are they benificial? Where in my setup would I place it ( sump )? Should it run 24/7 or only 1 day a week? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Anyhow thanks for all your help.

Happy New Years to all. :drinking: And Happy Reefing

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-07-2005, 09:13 AM
If you do use it, I wouldn't bother having it on all the time. Like I posted earlier, I usually only have it plugged in for a week or two after I introduce a new fish, when the stress level's highest & risk of ick or other outbreaks are greatest. (Although a 9 watt unit seems kinda small (ie. underpowered) for a 120g system). Mine's 40w & I'm very happy with what it does for my 100g system. It's on it's own loop & unconnected to any sump. If you're worried about zapping your pods then probably avoid attaching it on the return from the refugium.

Just my $.02.

Anthony

StirCrazy
01-07-2005, 12:55 PM
My question is do I need the uv unit. Are they benificial? Where in my setup would I place it ( sump )? Should it run 24/7 or only 1 day a week? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Anyhow thanks for all your help.

Happy New Years to all. :drinking: And Happy Reefing

I would say do you need it.. no, but you have it so use it. also I would just leave it on 24/7 as it won't hurt nothing and it is one less thing to worry about turning on and off. and yes place it in your sump.

Steve

hockey nut
01-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Thanks for your help guys.

Much appreciated!