PDA

View Full Version : my anemone is dying...its sad...

michika
01-05-2005, 01:57 AM
I came home to find my anemone in bad shape. Looked fine this morning and now its like its tenticles have shrivled up and are dissipating like ash. Its just a little GBTA and I want it to live but I'm not sure what else I can do for it.

Water quality and parameters are all good I have another anenome that is doing just fine...

Help?

Sick anemone is now living out the rest of its poor little life in my QT tank.

G1GY
01-05-2005, 02:26 AM
I have a couple of BTA's that look like they're ready to be taken out of there everytime they have a dump! By the next day, they purk right up again! :smile:

You'll know more by tommorow, but I think you might be suprised.

I hope this is what's happening to your GBTA.

michika
01-05-2005, 02:31 AM
I was afraid it was going to kill my little 10g nano. Its hanging out in QT now hes just looking ill and sad, many of his tenticles have lost their lovely green color and are now shrivly and the same pinkish white color his foot is.

I'll give him a day and hopefully he'll perk up. Glad I didn't name him yet or things would be really bad...

wrassehole
01-05-2005, 02:56 AM
sometimes they just croak from no fault of your own. Cheer up, whats your tank temp?

michika
01-05-2005, 03:43 AM
79-80 in the QT, the nano tank he used to be in runs 78 night at 80-81 durring the day.

I just don't like when things in my tank die. I'm kind of bummed at having paid out $50 for a little guy that didn't even last a whole week.

I'll be fine, probably wait a couple of weeks, if not a month to see if I can't find another one.

Thanks though!

wrassehole
01-05-2005, 04:27 AM
is he actually gone yet?
your temp is right on.
carma thrown at ya for your next anemone

G1GY
01-05-2005, 05:36 AM
If your BTA doesn't make it, let me know when you'll be coming to Calgary and maybe you could stop by and adopt one of mine. :smile:

I have a GBTA that recently split and would give you one if yours doesn't make it.

I hope this helps you out a bit. (It still sucks though.)

mr_alberta
01-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Are you sure its dying and not pooping?

G1GY
01-05-2005, 06:25 AM
Are you sure its dying and not pooping?

That's what I think is going on with it too.

danny zubot
01-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck. :frown: How does it look today?

Bob I
01-06-2005, 04:21 PM
[quote="michika"]I came home to find my anemone in bad shape. Looked fine this morning and now its like its tenticles have shrivled up and are dissipating like ash. Its just a little GBTA and I want it to live but I'm not sure what else I can do for it.

[quote]

Sometimes BTA's just collapse completely, and recover just fine. I have two RBTA's in different tanks, and both of them sometimes completely shrivel up (makes the clowns mad). Then a few hours later they reinflate, and look fine again. :biggrin:

Jaws
01-06-2005, 04:56 PM
One of my RBTA is doing the same. He did really well for a long time and then started moving around all over my tank. He'd hang out behind the rocks for weeks not getting any light and now his tentacles are almost completely shriveled. He stopped eating on a regular basis as well. Do anemones have a lifespan because this was a fairly old anemone that has split numerous times. His brother still lives on very well in the same tank.

mr_alberta
01-06-2005, 05:17 PM
I don't know if an anenome really has an "average" lifespan in the wild. Some believe that they just live on and on and clone themselves when needed.

In aquaria though, the average lifespan for an anenome seems to be a few months :sad: .

danny zubot
01-06-2005, 06:27 PM
One article I read mentioned one anemone could exceed a century. Wether or not it was due to cloning or the actual life span of that particular specimen it didn't say.

mr_alberta
01-06-2005, 06:38 PM
So Catherine, any updates on the little guy?

michika
01-06-2005, 10:40 PM
He died sometime between 3am this morning at 6am...

Poor guy, he started to look better yesterday evening so I put in his favorite rock (he had this grove thing) and he moved to it, anchored down and took some food.

I worked last night and didn't get home until late so I couldn't really tell you what happened between feeding and this morning.

Gigy, not sure next when we're heading down that way, probably to visit my parents or friends, thank you for the offer!