PDA

View Full Version : Broken Heater

Nemo
01-04-2005, 11:51 PM
I had my heater blow up on me last night. All of my corals look like crap, and my anenomies may be on the way out as well. The fish are unharmed, I am not sure how long the broken heater was pumping electricity into my tank. The tank went from 81 deg to 78 deg when I caught it. The heater has been replaced, and I have installed a ground rod into the sump with the heater.
:arrow: I am mixing water for a water change, is there anything else I can do to help save what I have in my tank? :question:

Robert

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Robert,

If you want, bring your stuff over to my place & I'll put them in my tank temporarily. Activated carbon, ChemiPure or Polyfilter in your filtration system would also help remove any toxin released by the broken heater.

Anthony

Bartman
01-05-2005, 05:29 AM
Just out of curiousity, how old was your heater? What brand?

Nemo
01-05-2005, 05:32 AM
Anthony thanks for the offer :biggrin:

it was a Visi-Therm Deluxe 300 Watts
it was less than 1 month old

danny zubot
01-05-2005, 02:40 PM
What exactly do you mean by "blow up"? If it were me that this happend to I'd take it back, I'd try to hold the manufacturer responsible for any loss in your tank. Sorry to hear about your luck.

AJ_77
01-05-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm interested as well, just bought a Visitherm at a Boxing Day sale...

Have there been more reports like this around other boards lately? Anyone?? :confused:

Tarolisol
01-05-2005, 09:24 PM
I bought a visa therm on boxing say to ive used a few in various tanks submerged and have never had a promelm. Did you take the heater out of the wat er while it was still one then put it back in?

Nemo
01-05-2005, 09:45 PM
looks like it exploded around the control area then water leaked in and the bottom of the glass blew out.

No it never left the water, it was in the bottom of my sump, and yes the sum had water in it.

I hope this was just one bad heater and the replacement is good. But I am adding a lot of protection to the tank to prevent harm to my stock.

Robert

Nemo
01-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Ok here is the update

The new heater is working just fine and is still in the bottom of the sump.

Most everything has recovered or is well on the way. I did end up killing 2 crabs, 2 snails, and my anthelia. My green hammer coral is still pinkish beige, but it is looking better.

I have added a grounding rod to the sump into the house ground so no electricity ends up in the tank.
I have put everything on GFI plugs so any sign of problems and it will trip the plug.
I have ordered a 3/4" check valve for the return so I have no water returning to the sump if I have a power failure.

This is over kill but I figure better safe than sorry, and these guys did not ask to be removed from the ocean so I figure I had better do everything I can to make my tank as comfortable as possible for them.

Robert