PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going back to basics

kuatto
01-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Did some renovations and cleaning to the 54 today,finally arranged the rock to show more of the tank.My filtration consists of a hob skimmer,couple of pwr heads and live rock.I know their are a few who use just good live rock and some pwr heads with sponge filters.what are your comments on this type of filtration?
Fish consist of a small yellow tang,false clown,damsal,and 2 gobies,with assorted snails and crabs.
I guess why I'm asking is that my skimmer needs repairs so can I get away safely without it?

mr_alberta
01-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Oh Jim, you've openned a can of worms.... :mrgreen:

I personally believe in skimming (especially if you don't do regular waterchanges and are dilligent with you tank maintenance). I personally don't believe in overskimming either, that's why I run a gigantic skimmer on my tank.

Of course you have to look at what you want to keep in your tank and what type of water conditions they like. Since you are keeping mainly softies, you can get away with higher nutrient levels.

If you are looking for a skimmer, my friend should be selling his CPR Bak Pak within the month...

Aquattro
01-04-2005, 11:07 PM
I guess why I'm asking is that my skimmer needs repairs so can I get away safely without it?

Depends on what train of thought you follow. Personally, I think the skimmer is one of the most important things you should have. Others think it is the last thing you would ever need.
My opinion is reinforced for me every time I empty the collection cup of the thick smelly black goo. The thought of my fish having to live in that slop repels me.

kuatto
01-04-2005, 11:24 PM
You know me,always stirring the pot! :mrgreen:
I'm taking the skimmer apart to see where the air is leaking in,just thought it would be ok for awhile untill repairs are done.

BlkWolfe
01-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Never had a skimmer on any of my tanks, just dont throw in as many fish or feed as heavily as a skimmed tank.

Course ive never kept sps either...

Beverly
01-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Jim,

I use powerheads with foam in the prefilters, no skimmer. Works great, but you've got to be diligent in cleaning the foams and doing water changes. To boost the effectiveness of the foams, I always clean the glass, then turkey baste my rock and corals the day before cleaning the foams. Clean glass first prevents the crud from the rock from sticking to the algae on the glass.

Foams are cleaned in several small batches of outgoing changewater to preserve bacteria. The first batch of cleaning water turns truly filthy, sort of like dilute skimmate :eek: I know I'm finished cleaning the foams when the water is clear after squishing the living daylights out of the foams.

BTW, is your tank BB?

kuatto
01-05-2005, 12:55 AM
I've got about 1.5 inches of sugar sand and crushed coral

Murminator
01-05-2005, 01:10 AM
I will agree with Bev I have the basics AC mini and 1 powerhead, I do the same as Bev for maintenance except when I squish out the foamies I let the water settle then I drop the foamie back in and all the pods run back into the foam before I put it back in the tank whats left I have a fine net I scoop then up with. :biggrin:

Then again I'm a newbie with a 20gal :rolleyes:

Bob I
01-05-2005, 01:22 AM
Well you know me, I have had tanks running for three years without skimmers. I have never had a problem. No tank crash, no nothing. I have Fluvals on all three of my tanks with just the foam, and Chemipure. :mrgreen: