PDA

View Full Version : another new guy

predator
01-04-2005, 01:46 AM
Hey everyone, my name is Brian (insert hello Brian here)
I'm from Winnipeg as well and I'm slowly buying supplies for my first reef tank. Hope to have it cycling by the end of January.

mecka
01-04-2005, 02:30 AM
Welcome ,can't wait to see some pics,what size of tank?

Doug
01-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Hi Brian;

WELCOME to CANREEF

:mrgreen:

predator
01-04-2005, 02:17 PM
I'm thinking 50-75 gallon to start, get a little experiance under my belt. Then maybe as big as 500 gallon, I think that would look awesome.

littlesilvermax
01-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Post some questions here if you like. We will try to help with your set-up, heck we might learn a thing or two.

predator
01-05-2005, 04:21 AM
All righty then here's one. An ro/di system is out of the budget right now, will declorinated tap water work or is that just asking for trouble?
Do places like Culligan sell ro/di water, any idea on price?
Ok that was two questions.

Doug
01-05-2005, 02:34 PM
All righty then here's one. An ro/di system is out of the budget right now, will declorinated tap water work or is that just asking for trouble?
Do places like Culligan sell ro/di water, any idea on price?
Ok that was two questions.

Hmmm, I dont think Winnipeg tap water is that great. At leats for a reef aquarium. Yes, most water stores sell ro water. One could always use something like a Tap Water Purifier for now, esp. on a smaller tank. I believe Jayson sells them for one. Or perhaps you could find a deal on a used ro unit, although if it needs membrane replacement, may as well buy a new unit.

Shy_Koi
01-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi Brian,
Most grocery stores now have "fill-it-yourself" RO water dispensers. There are 2 in this small town, and I've seen them at IGA and other supermarkets in Portage...
Unfortunately, they are not DI, but the water is a heck of alot more pure, than treated town water (at least here in the Whitemud Watershed area) :eek:
It's a bit of a PITA to carry 5g jugs around all the time, but I'll get my RO/DI set up one of these years....
The small tap water purifier sounds interesting tho' ....
~Tamara

littlesilvermax
01-05-2005, 03:47 PM
How much are you willing to spend on a RO system? You don't really need DI. Get it in a couple of yrs. You could probably get an RO system for around $180. Maybe less. Is that in the budget?

Shy_Koi
01-05-2005, 05:44 PM
I should add that I purchased a 75g/day RO/DI unit, from Aquasafe in BC, a few months ago. But like everything else I own, , it's still not set up :eek:
~Tamara

predator
01-05-2005, 05:50 PM
I was wondering about one of those Brita's you put on your tap? Probably a lot better than just straight tap water.

littlesilvermax
01-05-2005, 06:10 PM
I was wondering about one of those Brita's you put on your tap? Probably a lot better than just straight tap water.

A little bit better. Not much though. Sorry, but just being honest.

Besides the Brita wil only filter so much water.

I have got lots of RO "house" systems for friends for about $250. They all like it, it comes with a storage tank and carbon post filter for drinking water. Compared to spending $5 every few days, and hauling the water, this pays for itself in a year or two.

Probably the cheapest thing you could get that gives a significant difference would be Jaysons (saltwaterconnection) DI system. It sells for about $65. Unfortunately it doesn't last too long, but gives you near perfect water quality. Better then RO. Think of the long term costs, we want you in the hobby for the long run. :biggrin:

predator
01-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Honesty works for me. I think I'm going to hold off for another month before setting up, then I can get a proper RO system. May as well do it right instead of throwing fish/money down the toilet. I have been looking on E-bay and there seems to be good deals there. Thanks again for the info.

littlesilvermax
01-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Anytime! :biggrin: