PDA

View Full Version : Dryer Sheets are not good for your reef tank !!

Jim Barry
01-03-2005, 01:24 AM
I use a filter pad for a prefilter in my overflow which I wash out when it is dirty. Being lazy :redface: I have been washing it in the washing machine lately (without soap obviously).

Yesterday, I forgot it was in the washer and my wife came by later and washed a load of clothes while the filter pad was in the washing machine. It then got transfered into the dryer with a "Bounce" dryer sheet. Later that evening, my wife found it amongst the clothes in the dryer and put it with my fish stuff (without mentioning it came from the dryer). Around 9 PM last night I took that same pad and replaced it in my overflow.

Needless to say, I woke up this morning to a tank of sick fish. Eventually we figured out what happened and did a huge water change and added more carbon.

I think it will be okay, but my Carribean Tank has been hiding all day. I not sure if she is going to make it.

Thanks Emily B and Barry for your help today !!!!

Welcome to 2005 !!!! :eek: :frown:

christyf5
01-03-2005, 03:43 AM
:eek: Yikes! I hope everything works out for you.

Christy :)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-03-2005, 05:21 AM
Wow, lots of new lessons being learned lately. Dryer sheets, toxic zoos, & air fresheners. Good luck man. Hopefully everything recovers. In my tanks, I use ChemiPure instead of carbon to keep my tank water clean.

Anthony