PDA

View Full Version : Tanganyika

martym
01-03-2005, 12:06 AM
Does anyone keep these? Got my room wired today!!!!!! Getting close :smile: . I'm thinking about keeping (in a 120-150g tank) some Tropheus moorii (5-10), Cyprichromis (10) and maybe some Julidochromis (4) plus a few other fish. Any comments?
Thanks

Invigor
01-03-2005, 01:49 AM
i've got a pair of brischardis :D I love them, I haven't found any more in regina otherwise I would do a species tank and try to breed them. Since regina's selection of "different" cichlids is pretty small, I have my brischardi's in with some mbunas and they mind their own business.

I've got a friend with a 90gal frontosa tank...they're quite neat, but nothing that grabs me..

Cap'n
01-03-2005, 03:51 AM
I currently have:

Altolamprologus compressiceps
Julidichromis marlieri
Neolamprologus leleupi
Lamprologus ocellatus blue

and today I just picked up some Cyprichromis leptosoma Utinta Bay.

I would love to keep a species tank of tropheus, but, not enough tanks, yet. I think there is some concern with keeping them with non-herbivorous cichlids, though I am not sure. With that size tank you should be able to keep far more cyps than the 10 you have planned. A large flashy blue school would look great with the moori.

Here is a good site for reference material, especially the profiles...

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/index.php

and here is a good place for local contacts...

http://www.s6.invisionfree.com/AlbertaAquatica

Keep us updated, love to see your progress.

Invigor
01-03-2005, 12:05 PM
and today I just picked up some Cyprichromis leptosoma Utinta Bay.

and some people say freshwater fish are boring...shame on them!

http://www.africancichlids.net/Tanganyika/Cyprichromis/C_leptosoma/C_leptosoma_tricolor1.jpg

martym
01-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Beautiful fish aren't they. I've just started to get info on the tanganyika cichlids. There is not as much on them as there is on the malawi's. I am a member on cichlid-forum, as of yesterday. Once I get the tank I'll start to post some pictures.

Cap'n
01-04-2005, 04:57 AM
Malawi's are more popular, mostly because of the brighter and varied colours, but IMO they don't have the intelligence and attitude of the tanganyikans.

Martym, you should also check out the alberta aquatica site. I know you are not here in Alberta but there are many other members from BC as well. Lots of great info on cichlid forum, but sometimes it's almost too busy, easy to get lost in the flow.

Great pic Invigor! I can't wait for my cyps to colour up like that! They are very small right now, the largest at about 1", but it is already showing a bit of yellow on its fins. I only picked up a few for now, wanted to make sure they would be OK in my tank. Definately going back for more this week.

Willito
01-06-2005, 07:20 PM
I currently have a bunch of Featherfins.
I have practically had just about every Tanganiyans and Malawi's in the past. :mrgreen: Tropheus and Petrochromis are some of my favorites. I currently have L. Crasus, L. Trewavasae, and some Furcifer.

Invigor
01-06-2005, 09:29 PM
furcifers are super cool

Cap'n
01-07-2005, 02:30 AM
http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/other/c-furcifer-kigoma1.jpg

Oh yeah, those are nice!

Invigor
01-07-2005, 03:08 AM
are they naturally like that or bred to be like that?

Cap'n
01-07-2005, 05:17 AM
If you mean the awesome colours, that's natural.

albert_dao
01-08-2005, 05:02 PM
You shouln't mix tropheus with lamps or cyps because of dietary requirements.

Cap'n
01-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Thanks Albert, that's what I thought.

What are good tankmates for tropheus? I heard that julidichromis would be suitable, but isn't their diet similar to lamps and cyps?

Ryan
01-09-2005, 03:42 AM
CALVUS CALVUS BLACK INK JET OR WHITE CALVUS CICHLID. Awsome fish awsome. ONly downfall they are a slow grower. I would stay awy from Brichardis they will take over your tank.

martym
01-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Seeing as how Trpheus eat algae I figured it would be ok. Just supplement theirs with waffers.

albert_dao
01-10-2005, 12:42 AM
No, doesn't work. The thing about Tropheus is that they have a very long intestinal tract that's adapted to digesting plant material (high-fibre). It's not so much that they aren't getting the plant material from their food, but rather that the high protein content found in most conventional cichlid foods does not pass through their gut properly and causes bloat.

martym
01-10-2005, 02:38 AM
Can't target feed? If you put some veg into the rocks before feeding the
rest, wouldn't that keep them from eating regular food?

martym
01-10-2005, 02:47 AM
Not trying to cause problems but this article is interesting
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/t_moorii.php

Kind of what I was thinking about the veg into the rocks.
More input is welcome :smile:

albert_dao
01-10-2005, 06:01 AM
Are you planning to target feed ALL the fish? How do you plan to keep the Tropheus from eating any food you place in for the other fish?

One thing you can do if you're set on mixing Tropheus is to make sure that you're only feeding what's acceptable for the Tropheus. No high protein preparations, no brine shrimp, no blood worms, etc. That could work, but I'm still impartial to the idea.

Cap'n
01-10-2005, 06:04 AM
Have you ever seen a colony of tropheus at feeding time? They are one of the more aggressive eaters you can keep in a tank. I doubt you could convince them to stop after the salad course.

martym
01-12-2005, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm getting a 130-150 6' tank. I was going to a put rock pile in one corner for them and leave the rest open for the other fish(cryps) but now I may re think that. Any suggestions. All my fresh water have been Malawi's so this is new to me.
Thanks for the help and suggestions

Cap'n
01-12-2005, 01:59 AM
With a tank that size I would go with frontosas. I know they are probably the most common of the tanganyikans in the hobby, but there is a reason for that. Absolutely stunning when they reach maturity. My friend has a 7 - 8 yr old male that makes a fantastic cenrepiece for his tank.

You could add almost anything else from the lake in with them (except tropheus). Some julidichromis for the rockwork, leleupi's for a splash of yellow, cyps for the open water (as long as they are large enough to avoid becoming frontosa food), and round it off with some syno cats. I'm envious!

Check this out, http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/

Lots of good info on fronts, tropheus, "cookie cutter" tanks, etc.