PDA

View Full Version : Kalk how to use it and should i?

Tarolisol
01-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Well with my new tank almost ready i have a few questions. First off, to keep calcium stable what should i do. I figure kalk in my top off water, which will be gravity feed to a float switch in my sump, but could someone explain kalk to me how it works what it does and how to use it. Also will it keep my PH stable? Also is there anything else i should add. I want it to be mainly SPS. The tank is a little over 200 gallons with about 50 gallon sump and 45 gallon refuge.

marie
01-02-2005, 03:50 PM
You might find this an interesting read
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

monza
01-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Calcium Reactor is the way to go.

Dave

Tarolisol
01-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Yeah i plan on adding a calcium reactor soon but i hear lots of people use both to stabalize PH and stuff. Just not sure how it all works.

Scavenger
01-03-2005, 05:05 AM
Some reefers advise not adding any kalwasser or any additives to a new reef. Once the reef is established, monitor calcium levels and only add kalc once the initial natural supply starts to diminish. I sort of followed this and only started doing kalwasser in top off when I noticed my coraline algae growth rate slow considerably. This worked for me, but all reefs are differant.

Tarolisol
01-03-2005, 07:28 AM
I figure water changes should keep my levels acceptable till i have mosr corals and growth, But what about PH how should i keep this stable?

Doug
01-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Good link Marie.

I would not worry about the ph to much. As long as the tank has good water movement and oxygen/co2 exchange. The best for that being overflows to a sump and skimmers.

Nothing wrong with dripping a kalk mix, even before corals. However as mentioned, it may not be required, so pay good attention to your calcium and alk. levels. Perhaps just a slow drip at night for now.

I would try keep the calcium just around or a bit under 400ppm for now and the alk. around 7dkh to 9dkh. If water changes do not maintain those , as coralline starts to grow, then some kalk will. If a boost in alkalinity is needed, you could always use one of the commercial additives for that or even plain old baking soda.

Like the article above mentions though, pay close attention to the balance and use to much of a single type of calcium or alkalinity additve. This refers mainly to the use of things like calcium chloride to boost calcium levels.

Kalk is actually a pretty good balanced additive, keeping both calcium and alkalinity levels in check, depending on the demand and evaporation rates, of course. Aquarists that use kalk only, may need an occasional alk. additive, like mentioned above.

monza
01-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Sean

Before I had the CA reactor I always used a two part calcium additive that seemed to keep things in balance. I was going to start with Kalk then I did some research and dove right in with the CA reactor. I've always been thinking of still adding a kalk type drip system but my water tests tell me I don't have to.

For sure the kalk is the less expensive way to go and works very well. That and good two part additive, lots of regular testing to see where your tanks balance is and you'll be set.

Does your tank have water in it yet? Your pics where looking good! I'm just about to plump my 4way now.

Dave

Tarolisol
01-03-2005, 10:00 PM
The water is in the tank and everything is running. Im letting the water heat up and should get it salted by tonight. I connected a air pump to my pump to see how the flow was and its not to bad even though i have crazy angels everywhere i would love to show everyone a video but im not sure how to post it. Is it the same as pictures? I have my sequance reefflo dart and the 4-way does cut down on flow a bit.