PDA

View Full Version : Help!! favorite leather declining

Vagabond
01-01-2005, 08:08 PM
My favorite finger leather coral has gone into a sudden decline in the past 48hrs :frown:

Usually it is very full and has all of its polyps extended giving it a really cool soft fuzzy yellow look. The day before yesterday it never opened up any of its polyps. Yesterday the same thing and today I am starting to see a shiney, slimey film covering some of the body and branches :confused:

Of note and most likely: I picked up a small figi leather frag last week that was healthy when I put it in the tank . I had placed it into a space in my rock work and it seemed to be doing well until 3 days ago when I noticed a brown film on its base at the point of contact with the rock. When I lifted up the frag the base just disintegrated into mush. I got it out of the tank ASAP and siphoned out any particles I could find.

This seems the most probable cause and I'm guessing that whatever got to the Figi has likely spread to my finger leather even though they are accross the tank from each other.

I did a water change on Thursday and all of my parameters test out great both yesterday and today.

My other softies and LPS are thriving and show no signs of ailment.

Is there anything I can do to save the finger leather Dip?, Another water change? Anything?

HELP!!!

marie
01-01-2005, 08:41 PM
All leathers shed once in a while and it sounds like that is what yours is doing. It maybe in response to the fiji leather, but i would still give it a few days before trying any drastic treatment. Run some carbon in the tank, if your not already doing that, to help get rid of any toxins from the fiji leather

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Try directing a bit more flow over the leather to help it "shed." My toadstools do this all the time & they bounce back within a few days at most. 48hrs is too soon to panic :biggrin: so my advice is to increase flow & keep an eye on it but not to worry too much.

Anthony

danny zubot
01-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Have you ever noticed any ill effects of this shedding effect on other corals in your tank? My Toadstool exhibits these same symptoms right now, however all of my corals are in hiding at this point. Could my SPS be reacting towward the residue in the water?

Vagabond
01-04-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks Marie and Anthony for the advice. My finger leather was indeed shedding and as of today it looks full, fuzzy, and happy :mrgreen:

My concern came more from the timing - the Finger Leather closing up and the Yellow Fiji dying off and disintegrating. Everything else in the tank was, and still is very healthy. So thank you for reminding me that patience and observation are key in this hobby. Give nature a chance to correct itself before we start meddling around trying to fix what may not be broken.

Danny, I noticed no ill effects from the shedding but the only SPS I have in my tank are a few Montipora Caps and they are fine.

wrassehole
01-05-2005, 04:28 AM
its not dying at all, everyones first leather freaked them out. that shiney shit is gonna fluff of in a day or two. they usually get bigger during these changes as well.

AJ_77
01-05-2005, 06:37 AM
Yup, that's what he just said. Language, please.

wrassehole
01-05-2005, 07:15 AM
can you believe i said the horrific s-word? the nerve of me. this is the first site that doesnt x-out the bad words. next time ill say poo. promise

AJ_77
01-05-2005, 07:19 AM
Must be a glitch with the filter... sometimes we spend whole chat nights trying different words to see which ones make it through. :mrgreen:

But thanks there, buddy! Any luck with that Maroon? (oops, wrong thread...) :redface:

It's amazing how long leathers can look all ****ed-off and shrivelled up, kind of like... like... oh I don't know, like a finger leather I guess...

They seem to just have a mind of their own, and don't always do what you want them to...

danny zubot
01-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Well, I don't believe mine is going to die, it was slightly perkier (is that a word?) last night than previously. I think I'm in the wrong thred now. :confused: Back to my thred for the update.