PDA

View Full Version : Need help

Nemo
01-01-2005, 03:13 AM
Can some one tell me about these, they lool like they have legs.
the body is orange and black.
If I can not figure out how to get the pic up it is in the gallery

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1395worms_002_edited.jpg

marie
01-01-2005, 03:30 AM
those appear to be bristle worms, good to have,but it looks like you have quite a few. Do you have a lot of uneaten food hitting the bottom?

Nemo
01-01-2005, 03:44 AM
They are in the refuguim. was going to clean out some dead algae, and found those.

megatron_55
01-01-2005, 10:18 AM
ya, those are bristle worms... they're good for your tank unless you have clams . . . =) Also, be careful if they ever reach your main tank as certain corals do not appreciate they're bristles.

marie
01-01-2005, 05:54 PM
They are probably already in the main tank and there is not much you can do about it if they are :biggrin: . I don't think they will hurt anything though, I've never had problems with them

StirCrazy
01-01-2005, 05:55 PM
ya, those are bristle worms... they're good for your tank unless you have clams . . . =) Also, be careful if they ever reach your main tank as certain corals do not appreciate they're bristles.

I have had the type you have sense I set the tank up and I have had lots of corals and a couple clams. the only time they will go near a clam is if it is dieing, and I have never seen them go on a coral or suffered any ill effects from them. there are a lot of misconceptions about them but it is generally accepted they are a good thing and part of a healthy tank. they will consume a fish/snail/ect that dies in no time flat and prevent ammonia/nitrites from forming.

The legs you referred to are tufts of bristles and when they feel threatened they fluff them out, word of caution they do hurt if you get them in your hand :redface:

Steve