PDA

View Full Version : US-Canada duty rates?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-31-2004, 11:44 PM
I'm thinking of ordering a couple of T5 HO Actinics for my tank from a site in the US. Total would be just under $60US. Anyone have an idea what the duty would be on this amount? Is there a set percentage? Want to find out if it's worth it. Looking for a Cdn source for a Helios T5 HO Actinic 36" unit (with built-in ballast). Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Bob I
12-31-2004, 11:48 PM
I'm thinking of ordering a couple of T5 HO Actinics for my tank from a site in the US. Total would be just under $60US. Anyone have an idea what the duty would be on this amount? Is there a set percentage? Want to find out if it's worth it. Looking for a Cdn source for a Helios T5 HO Actinic 36" unit (with built-in ballast). Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Have it sent by USPS. there is no duty, but you will pay GST, and a $5.00 handling charge. I have done this many times. :biggrin: BTW the Helios T5 actinics crap out in a week. Reefsolutions used to carry them, but stopped because of the problems. The US wholesaler would not back them up. :sad:

Willito
01-01-2005, 12:10 AM
UPS is the biggest RIP-OFF. The brokerage fee that they charge will make you pull your hair. I recently bought a wave maker that cost $10 to ship and UPS charged $20 for brokerage. I will never use them again. USmail or Canada Post is usually the cheapest, delivery time is about 5-8 biz days.

Skimmerking
01-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Anthony You might break out in the good with the CDN dollar @ 83 cents, so you might save on the taxes or the UPS charge..

Mike

Bryan
01-01-2005, 02:00 AM
NO duty or brokerage fees is charged on any parcel regardless of the shipper if the value of the goods is under $20.00 Cdn.

If over $20.00

USPS/Canada Post regular mail or parcel post is $5.00 brokerage fee plus applicable duty/GST

UPS rates are on a sliding scale and are posted on their web site

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html#Entry+Preparation+Charges

add and additonal $7.00 for their disbursement fees.

Fedex brokerage fees are slightly cheaper.

Another option is to ship by UPS/Fedex and have it delivered to a mailbox outlet in Blaine, drive down and pick up. You will only have to pay the appropriate duty and taxes when you cross back into Canada. Mailbox International in Blaine priovides this service or http://www.thelettercarrier.com/index.htm in Point Roberts.

Of course if you don't live in the Lower Mainland it's not much use
Hope this helps.

Dez
01-01-2005, 02:27 AM
I used UPS last week and the shipping was $14, and the brokerage and other fees and gst came to $40. So I paid $54 extra on $150 worth of stuff. Kind of ridiculous for a gate valve and some seals.

:2gunfire: UPS

des

oh well, paid for with Christmas money and it's definitely a lesson learned. My list of things never to do again has just increased.

Bob I
01-01-2005, 03:00 AM
Why is everyone talking about UPS :question: . I was first to answer the post, and I said USPS, which stands for United States Postal Service. :confused:

Dez
01-01-2005, 05:59 AM
Why is everyone talking about UPS :question: . I was first to answer the post, and I said USPS, which stands for United States Postal Service. :confused:

Bob,

NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT YOUR REPLY ABOUT USPS :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: The subject title is "US-Canada duty rates." I am just emphasizing the fact NOT to use UPS. I believe the other members are just venting as well. Congrats on you being the first to answer the post Bob.

Des

Canadian Man
01-01-2005, 06:23 AM
I'm worried. I ordered a Fender Guitar amp from us and I am frightened about the duty amount :redface: Oh and it's being shipped UPS.

Samw
01-01-2005, 09:10 AM

Anthony

I tried to look up the amount of duty online but can't seem to find it. I vaguely remember seeing a list of rates based on country of origin. But now, I can't find it. Anyhow, if the country of origin of your bulbs is USA, then I think it is duty free under NAFTA. If it comes from a non-NAFTA country, then duty applies (ex. If the bulb was made in Germany, I think you are suppose to pay duty, but most of the time, the US retailers will write USA as the country of origin on the EXPORT forms so then you don't have to pay duty).

Here's a useful link:
Importing Non-Commercial Goods by Mail

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4051/rc4051-e.html

Generally, when you mail order products from outside Canada, you need to pay a brokerage fee, duty (for goods originating outside N. America), GST, and PST. Check out the link. Its tells you all of this. The only thing I can't seem to find is the duty rates by country (The duty rates are different depending on the country of origin).

So the answer to your question on the amount of duty is probably $0 because of NAFTA and the fact that the retailer will probably put USA as the country of origin (intentionally or accidentally) regardless of the true country of origin. But of course, as everyone else already mentioned, GST, PST, and brokerage fee will apply.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Merci Beaucoup everybody. Lots of info & suggestions to think about.

Anthony

Samw
01-01-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm just learning this stuff now. But this is what I'm learning for the duty rates (tariff):

Canada has many tariff classifications based on country of origin. The general tariff is 35%. Tariffs for products originating from NAFTA countries are mostly 0%. The tariff rates for goods are listed here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/publications/tariff2005/01-99r3-e.pdf

List of countries and their tariff classifications:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/publications/tariff2005/2005loc-e.pdf

This link describes the tariff classifications (Most Favored Nation, General Preferential Nation, UST, CCCT, LDCT, MT, etc):

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/publications/tariff2005/2005act-e.pdf

For example, to find out the tariff for a snowboard that you mail ordered, check this link (page 7):

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/publications/tariff2005/ch95ne.pdf

This shows that if you bought a snowboard that was made in Japan, then the tariff will be 7.5% because Japan falls in the Most Favored Nation category but doesn't fall into any of the Beneficial Nation categories. However, if the snowboard was made in Brazil, then the tariff will be 5% because it falls under the General Preferential Nation category. Now, if the country of origin of the snowboard falls in one of the other beneficial categories (UST, CCCT, LDCT, MT, MUST, CIAT, CT, CRT) then the tariff will be 0%. Finally, if the country of origin does not fall into any category, then the tariff will be 35%.

This link shows provisions to the tariffs rules (for non commercial purposes only). It shows that if you leave the country, you can bring stuff back without paying tariffs or have a reduced tariff (within limit):

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/publications/tariff2005/ch98ne.pdf

Using the snowboard example, what this tells me is that if you brought the snowboard back (not mail ordered) into Canada after 48 hours outside the country and the total value of the goods you are bringing back is $200 or less, then the tariff is free. If the total value is between $200 and $300, then the tariff is 7% for snowboard made in Japan and free for the snowboard made in Brazil.

If you have been outside Canada 7 days or more, and your total value is $750 or less, then the tariff is also free.

If you have been outside Canada 24 hours or more and your total value is $50 or less, then the tariff is free.

You can see it gets pretty complicated. If I understood these publications right, then this should help answer your question about the duty. You'd just have to look up the tariff for lamps if it exists.

You then have to pay GST and PST on top of the tariffs of course.

trilinearmipmap
01-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Anyway bottom line is UPS is only worthwhile for high value items, it is not so bad paying a $50.00 or $60.00 brokerage fee on a light fixture worth $1000.00 but for a $100.00 order it is a rip-off.

USPS (U.S. mail) has much more reasonable brokerage fees but there is more of a risk of items getting damaged.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Again, my thanks for all the swift & insightful (New Year=new adjectives :biggrin: ) responses.

Anthony

Bob I
01-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Again, my thanks for all the swift & insightful (New Year=new adjectives :biggrin: ) responses.

Anthony

I don't think "insightful" is a really new adjective. Google returned 10 pages of usage. :razz:, and I just managed to use it in another post in this forum. :cool:

As far as the US Post Office goes. I have done more that six orders with Premium Aquatics. All were sent USPS. All arrived in fine condition. I never paid more than GST and the $5.00 handling charge. :cool: But the larger concern nowadays is the large mailing cost. My last order of one pendant valued at $109.95 US cost $25.00 US to mail. :mad:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-01-2005, 07:38 PM
"Insightful" is a new adjective for me to use on CanReef :silly: <silly> But seriously, thanks for all the posts regarding this topic.

Anthony

Samw
01-01-2005, 09:09 PM
I never paid more than GST and the $5.00 handling charge. :cool:

Yeah, it'd be nice if BC had 0% PST as well.

Bryan
01-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah, it'd be nice if BC had 0% PST as well.

Thank the NDP for that...

Bob I
01-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Governments are an amazing bunch of crooks. First they tax you on what you earn, and then when you spend what little money you have left, they tax you on that. Then to add insult to injury they waste what they have stolen from you. Horsethieves used to whipped. :mad:

trilinearmipmap
01-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Perhaps if they stopped handing out welfare to drug addicts and squeegee kids then we wouldn't have to pay any PST.

monza
01-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Thats why we try and send the squeegee kids and drug addicts to BC. It's warmer and free hard core drugs and places to shoot up. Greyhound ships them pretty cheap!

Dave

vanreefer
01-02-2005, 04:35 AM
I just did the mailbox in blaine thing... cost me $22 for each tax on $250... they just assumed that the ice cap ballasts were made in the US so no duty :biggrin:
I think it costs $10 to set up an account with the mailbox place then $2 per item recieved.
good stuff
Dano

Bryan
01-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Plus you saved on the extra shipping it would have cost you to ship into Canada.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-02-2005, 07:56 AM
I now have access to such a Blaine mailbox, so that's probably the route I will take. Thanks again to all who have offered there much appreciated $.02 :biggrin:

Anthony

Veng68
01-02-2005, 08:30 AM
I just did the mailbox in blaine thing... cost me $22 for each tax on $250... they just assumed that the ice cap ballasts were made in the US so no duty :biggrin:
I think it costs $10 to set up an account with the mailbox place then $2 per item recieved.
good stuff
Dano

Which one do you use? My sister used Hagens of Blaine....... first exit off of the boarder crossing. No set up fees that I can remember but similar $2 per item.

Also I know of a place in Point Roberts.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Veng68
01-02-2005, 08:31 AM
I now have access to such a Blaine mailbox, so that's probably the route I will take. Thanks again to all who have offered there much appreciated $.02 :biggrin:

Anthony

Hey Ant......... so what are you going to be buying me :wink:

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Chin_Lee
01-02-2005, 07:42 PM
i use this one. its close to cost cutters right after the 176 crossing (45 seconds in). Once i cross the border, I can pick it up and be back waiting in line at the border within 5 minutes. Their address is:

1733H Street, Suite 330
Blaine, Washington 98230
USA

i believe its a $10-15USD annual membership and $1.50 or 2.00 USD per parcel. they'll give you a call once your package comes in.
VERY CONVENIENT!!!

Samw
01-02-2005, 08:33 PM
No annual membership or mailbox rental is necessary at LetterCarrier by the way. Its just $2 US per package.

Bryan
01-02-2005, 08:44 PM
SamW:

Do you head across Point Roberts frequently, wondering what the line-ups are like.

Samw
01-02-2005, 08:47 PM
No, I've only crossed twice. I plan to cross more often in the future though. You could ask Wendel. He was one of the first to recommend them. He probably crosses often.

Chin_Lee
01-02-2005, 09:44 PM
No annual membership or mailbox rental is necessary at LetterCarrier by the way. Its just $2 US per package.
Sam
do you have any of their particulars? address, phone number, how far from border etc. Got me interested ....

Samw
01-02-2005, 10:16 PM
http://www.thelettercarrier.com/

They are about 200 meters from the border.

Veng68
01-03-2005, 02:11 AM
http://www.thelettercarrier.com/

They are about 200 meters from the border.

Any idea how long they hold it? Hagens of Blaine holds it for 10 day at $2 then every day after that it is ).50 I think. After 90 days they send it back to the original sender.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Samw
01-03-2005, 02:32 AM
I don't know how long they'll hold the package for. Another one in Pt. Roberts is TSB Shipping but I've never tried them.

http://www.tsbshipping.com/

Neither place answers their Email by the way. I've tried many many times.

Veng68
01-03-2005, 06:11 AM
I don't know how long they'll hold the package for. Another one in Pt. Roberts is TSB Shipping but I've never tried them.

http://www.tsbshipping.com/

Neither place answers their Email by the way. I've tried many many times.

Thanks.

That's pretty cool.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]